Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Chev Silverado 5.3 Auto To Manual

Smile 2014 Chev Silverado 5.3 Auto To Manual

Is it now possible,

For the current ECM/TCM controlled cars/trucks to be converted to manual transmission without any problems?

If so is there a guide on here on how to go about it?

Lifetime Member

Hi Sid,

What have you got on the go ? Is this an engine swap in a custom vehicle, or a transmission swap in an OEM vehicle ?

Can the E92 tune be changed from an auto to a manual - Yes - in the same fashion E38 / E67 tunes can be changed.

Can it be done without any problems - life rarely works out that way ! The idle portion of the tune may need some work, and sometimes the speedometer output signal can be problematic.

If this is a custom vehicle, the easiest route may be to use a Corvette tune from a manual transmission car. However, the 5.3L and 6.2L Gen V engines use different throttlebodies. I don't know if a 5.3L throttlebody would work "without any problems" with a 6.2L tune.

Cheers,
    Taz
    Last edited by Taz; July 6th, 2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: - typo

Hi Taz,

long time!

A company here in the UAE has bought around eighty 2014 Silverados and wants them converted to manual.

A friend of mine owns a workshop which this company has made inquiries to .

I'm just trying to find out for this guy if it's a poossible or no, as I am out of touch with the latest goings-on and had heard it wasn't possible to convert because of the dis-conneted TCM harness causing problems (?)

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sid447 View Post
    ...A company here in the UAE has bought around eighty 2014 Silverados and wants them converted to manual ...
    Wow !!! There is too much money in that part of the world (LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Sid447 View Post
    ... had heard it wasn't possible to convert because of the dis-connected TCM harness causing problems (?) ...
    Bridging the CANBus lines will "close the loop" on comms - if the wiring harness is not going to be completely reworked. A manual style VSS will need to be connected to the ECM.

These are barely off the showroom floor here, and I have no idea what complications will arise in an OEM 2014 Silverado with this type of conversion.

Your friend will need to get one of these trucks as a test mule, to sort this out. It may end up being reasonably straight forward, or it may bring about one problem after another.

GM has yet to release the 2014 Corvette / Truck Service Manuals to Helm Inc. (for public purchase), so I can't comment on how the subsystems work.

Okay,

Thanks for the reply,

He has one of them at his workshop for this purpose................

I could offer to put you in touch with the Aussie if you are interested. Then I could loan him my V2 to do the necessary.

Let me know what you think.

Steve.

Lifetime Member

PM sent ...

Quite often if such a conversion is done in a late model vehicle that never had a manual trans option there is always issues (many of which Taz listed)
    Firstly, other modules on the CAN bus might be expecting to hear messages from the TCM and may set 'U' codes with the TCM missing (eg, the instrument cluster for the PRNDL display).
    The start enable is usually different on the Manual, you need a clutch position sensor so the ECM knows when the clutch is in or out for cranking (also important for idle).
    Whilst the clutch position switch can be bypassed in the tune I would say don't expect it all to work 'as good as new' as though GM made it.
    Is there really no manual trans option at all in the 14 Silverado?

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Not certain with respect to the global market ... Canadian Silverado / Sierra 1500 series models (with Gen V engines) are only offered with the A6 (6L80) - whether the engine is the 4.3L V6 or the 6.2L V8.

The downside is that there does not appear to be a manual transmission calibration available. The upside is a future increased supply of quality used 4x2 6L80 transmissions - once the wrecking yards start receiving them.

In the USA/Canada, GM stopped offering manual transmissions in all Silverados starting in 2007.5 with the GMT-900.

However, in Mexico (and maybe some other markets?), you could get a manual transmission up through 2013 in the GMT-900's.

I just checked the service manual for the 2014+ K2XX silverados, and in the "transmission" section, it gives service manual info/wiring diagrams for both the obvious 6L80, and a Tremec 5-speed (RPO code is MXW)....so it seems as if you can still get a manual transmission in the new 2014 K2XX silverados.

If someone could find a VIN for one of those mexican silverados with the manual transmission, it would be easy enough to flash an E92 with a proper manual-trans calibration, then pull it out with EFILive.

Although my suspicion is that even in the Mexico markets, that manual will only be offered with the 4.3 V6. As far as I know, the mexican market 2007-2013 GMT-900 silverados with the manual trans were V6 only.

So that wouldnt really help, if the only factory combo for the E92 silverado manual transmission was a V6.

BenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MXW.jpg 
Views:	822 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	17110
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Lifetime Member

If by "K2XX" you are referring to 2500 series 4x4 models - I believe those are still using the E78 ECM in the Canadian and USA markets. Mexico ... well just about anything could happen there !!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast