Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V1 inop after July 7th update?

Lifetime Member

Default V1 inop after July 7th update?

I have read the other V1 to ctz thread and have a question.

I updated my home and work laptops the other day with the July 7th builds. My V1 unit will not flash a ctz file on either laptop. Did this update render my V1 unit into a $550.00 scan tool. If so, what is the newest version of 7.5 that I can use with my V1 unit and .tun files. It appears that even when you open a .tun and make a change and then "Save As" that it is saved as a ctz file with no option of saving or converting it to .tun.
    If I need to I will uninstall EFILive and go to an earlier version on one of my laptops so that I can use my V1. I will leave the other laptop updated and use my V2 unit on it.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Lifetime Member

Jeff, you can easily flash a .ctz with V7.5, fire up the Tune tool and File->Open then select the tune you want. V7.5 Tune will open it, then flash normally.

To make this easier in the future, make the V7.5 Tune tool the default application for .ctz files in Windows. Depending on your version, this process differs (recommend a Google/Bing search). BUT, you should think if you want to do this, if you want to use both V1/V2 on the same laptop then opening a .ctz will open V7.5. There's no elegant solution for using both devices as they use different applications for the same file type. I would recommend you setup your laptop so that .ctz files open the corresponding application for your primary FlashScan (V7.5 for V1, V8 for V2 [default]).

Now if you're saying you cant flash a .ctz in V7.5 with your V1, might need to open a ticket with the support desk and provide the necessary info to see if it's a bug.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

FlashScan V1 remains completely functional with the July 7 release. .ctz files have been compatible with FlashScan V1 for a couple of years now. The recent change, which became publicly available in our May pre release was simply retiring the .tun file format.

What error message are you getting when you attempt to flash?

Cheers
    Cindy
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Hhmmm,
    Thank You both for the replies. I don't exactly remember what the error message was. Maybe I was mistaken and it was .tun related. I will give it another go and see what happens.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Lifetime Member

Well, I have no idea what I was doing wrong. I flashed my PCM with a .tun and then a .ctz with my V1 today----Works fine. I have had the V1 for probably 7 yrs, so it's not like I am unfamiliar with it.

Jeff

Lifetime Member

Glad to hear your now back up and running

Cheers
    Cindy
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Stuff happens

The only thing I noticed (so far) about this extension change ordeal (.TUN vs .CTZ) is the file size is smaller with the .CTZ.

Meaning, when I have a .TUN file @ 475KB and it saves as a .CTZ -the file size gets smaller to 449KB.

Tell me this is normal?
    '02 S10 Xtreme 4.3 Syclone power; AWD, 4L60E; 411 PCM: Walbro 255; 160F thermo: Front coil overs, 4" static drop;

Lifetime Member

An LS1 .ctz file is marginally smaller than a .tun file, an LB7 .ctz is about 30% smaller than a .tun file, an LL8 .ctz is closer to 45% smaller than a .tun. It really depends on the controller you are referring to, but yes, the file sizes are 'generally' smaller.

Last year we did featured File Sizes in our newsletter, it's more geared towards FlashScan V2/AutoCal and V8 software, but it does provide some history on file types and average .ctz files for specific controllers. http://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/ne...st/file-sizes/ (It does not provide a comparison against .tun files, but you may still find the information useful)

Cheers
    Cindy

Question V1 alt calibration

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    An LS1 .ctz file is marginally smaller than a .tun file, an LB7 .ctz is about 30% smaller than a .tun file, an LL8 .ctz is closer to 45% smaller than a .tun. It really depends on the controller you are referring to, but yes, the file sizes are 'generally' smaller.

Cheers
    Cindy
    Good to know -thanks for the speedy response !

The next perplexity imagined is this:

What if -using V1 I have a .CVT file loaded (EFILive tune) and I load an alternate .TUN file to compare. Is it possible to save the alt file changes even though they have different extensions? -Would not this wreak havoc if updated with the alternate (.TUN) values?
    '02 S10 Xtreme 4.3 Syclone power; AWD, 4L60E; 411 PCM: Walbro 255; 160F thermo: Front coil overs, 4" static drop;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast