Thread: Spark advance questions for boost tuning

Default Spark advance questions for boost tuning

Hi again all.

I'm on the prowl for good information again. I have hired a dyno in 2 weeks time and plan on finishing off my VE and Spark tuning. Im 100% confident doing my VE so that is easy and will be done first. My questions today are based around spark tuning.

I am running an LS1, maggie 1900 supercharger, 224/224/112 cam, dual 3" exhaust, 11.5 PSI boost and AFR's are sweet at 11.5 on boost

I am currently using the stock Holden LS1 high octane table and I would like to know a few things about it.

Firstly why does the spark table have 3 dimensional tendencies until ~ 0.8g/cyl and then timing is only impacted by RPM changes not g/cyl. Please keep in mind im only talking about the spark table at this point. I understand a0010 will pull timing based on MAP but why is this the preferred method of tuning boost?

Secondly after 0.8g/cyl on most stock Holden tunes the timing will increase somewhat to 2800RPM or thereabouts followed by a dip and then increase again until peak RPM. I have looked at HSV tune files and some do not have the dip like a stock commodore tune. Why is this so?

Can anyone suggest a good tune I can use the high octane table from as a starting point for my spark tuning. I understand nothing will be perfect but the closerthe better to save me dyno time.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by barbermi View Post
    Hi again all.

I'm on the prowl for good information again. I have hired a dyno in 2 weeks time and plan on finishing off my VE and Spark tuning. Im 100% confident doing my VE so that is easy and will be done first. My questions today are based around spark tuning.

I am running an LS1, maggie 1900 supercharger, 224/224/112 cam, dual 3" exhaust, 11.5 PSI boost and AFR's are sweet at 11.5 on boost

I am currently using the stock Holden LS1 high octane table and I would like to know a few things about it.

Firstly why does the spark table have 3 dimensional tendencies until ~ 0.8g/cyl and then timing is only impacted by RPM changes not g/cyl. Please keep in mind im only talking about the spark table at this point. I understand a0010 will pull timing based on MAP but why is this the preferred method of tuning boost?

Secondly after 0.8g/cyl on most stock Holden tunes the timing will increase somewhat to 2800RPM or thereabouts followed by a dip and then increase again until peak RPM. I have looked at HSV tune files and some do not have the dip like a stock commodore tune. Why is this so?

Can anyone suggest a good tune I can use the high octane table from as a starting point for my spark tuning. I understand nothing will be perfect but the closerthe better to save me dyno time.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
    I had a similar set up before, just an older Maggie. I believe timing is determined by air mass, not rpm. WHat table are you looking at?

Usually, there is a dip in timing in peak torque, that may be what you are seeing.

Timing for each set up will be different, and fuel dependent. I ran 12-13 degrees in boost on my 11.1 compression motor on 91 and 17-18 on the same motor at 9.5:1 compression same fuel. I have always used the high octane table for all timing calculation, but it makes it a dog out of boost. So I am going to add more timing into high octane table and take it out in boost using the timing boost table. Hopefully that will help.
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Thanks LastCall.
    Very helpful indeed. I now understand why there is a dip in the spark table. Im talking about the high octane table also. Currently im getting 8-10 degrees final spark advance after all of the spark modifiers have done their work. Plenty of room for improvement!

Thanks again