Thread: cannot update firmware

Default cannot update firmware

Hello, I just bought a v2 and I am having trouble updating the firmware. I downloaded the latest version of efi live onto my computer but I am unable to update the firmware. my v2 displays a USB mode when connected to by PC. When I attempt to click the firmware and update it gives me an error message saying no device connected. I also get a message saying connected device is not responding. in the f6 firmware tab the v2 comes up as unresponsive with a gray "X" displayed
    please help thank you

Try this:
    Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager->Show old drivers
    Uninstall USB Drivers
    Install USB V2.02.04

Also, try a different USB port on your PC.

thank you for the response

I tried uninstalling the drivers and still have no luck. I have tried all three USB ports with the same out come.
    when I click update boot block I get a message saying the device will be in dead poll mode until firmware is reprogrammed and also a $0101 error code

If V2 is in dead poll mode (the two amber LEDs are flashing in alternation) then V2 is waiting for firmware to be programmed into it...

so now go ahead and update firmware

( if V8 S&T does not let you, then manually program in the firmware using V8 EE (goto Firmware tab).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    If V2 is in dead poll mode (the two amber LEDs are flashing in alternation) then V2 is waiting for firmware to be programmed into it...

so now go ahead and update firmware

( if V8 S&T does not let you, then manually program in the firmware using V8 EE (goto Firmware tab).
    I got a message saying it will remain in dead poll mode until the firmware is reprogrammed. There are no LED lights flashing however. The v2 just displays USB mode. When I go to the firmware tab in the control panel it gives me the same error message.
    Appreciate the help. This is all new to me could my PC be causing an issue.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The FlashScan sounds like it has a very old boot block (V2.04.xx or earlier). If that is the case, you need to read and carefully follow the instructions in this document:
    Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Documents->Upgrading FlashScan.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

also make sure your doing the upgrade from a desktop pc or laptop that provides full power to the usb port. some laptops, particularly small ones don't provide enough juice to fully power up the v2.

After some playing around I was able to get both boot block and firmware in the current versions.
    updating from the v2 itself was the key I believe
    Thank you guys for the information and patience its all new to me but its nice to know I can receive some help when needed. I couldn't even update it correctly so it will be a long road. thanks again.