Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At a total loss, another ECM shot.

Default At a total loss, another ECM shot.

I was tuning a friends LB7 truck and wanted to upgrade to DSP 5. Something happened during the tune, it did not finish and the chip in the ECM fried. I got the communication error code, the fast blinking of the injector relay in the truck and no start. I sent the computer out to SoCal Diesel and they verified the chip was fried and replaced it for me. EFILive kindly replaced my VIN Licence and I had my buddies truck going within a week. I installed a tow tune with the new licence and all was good.

Since then I bought a bench harness for my tuning, and I've successfully tuned a few LB7 trucks to DSP5 with the bench harness. No problems at all.

This weekend I went to tune my friends truck to DSP5 (the one with the repaired ECM). I put it on the bench harness and tuned it and it finished successfully. Went to start the truck and the same thing happened! Went to read the ECM with EFILive and it said there was loss of communication. No start.

I'm lucky my friend has a second vehicle so he can afford the inconvenience of having his truck not running while I try to get this figured out. I'm at a complete loss as to why this is happening, and it's getting expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love the EFILive tuning software but at this rate I won't be able to afford it.

Thanks in advance.

Did you use the same tune as the last time the ECM lost the plot?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I used the OS that came with the refurb ECM from SoCal. I used it to burn a tow tune. Didn't like the upgrade to DSP5. I used the same tunes that worked great on other LB7s.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Did you use the same tune as the last time the ECM lost the plot?

SoCal fixes on avg 3-5 LB7 ecms a month for me, when they come back with SN#000000000000 or a hosed up BCC segment I send them out and get them refurbished, over the last 7 years I have sent at least 100+ to SoCal and have used the repaired ecms to flash for my bench PC's and my exchanged pre-tuned business usually gets a SoCal refurbished ecm.

Guy uses a clean TIS file as well, if you use a script from a hosed file or a hosed up file the evil will rear it's ugly head again and again.

Often times the stock file has been bastardized by a handheld tuner and most likely has bad stuff in the hex, Ross could probably tell you horror stories about the LB7.........LOL

Tony
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    Ross could probably tell you horror stories about the LB7.........LOL
    Tony
    Look at them the wrong way and they loose the VIN.
    Unfortunately GM have (and still has) a bug in TIS2WEB that will corrupt a portion of the ECM if the dealer updates it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated. Is there a way to prep the computer if it had a handheld on it to avoid these problems? I'd hate to tune someone else's truck and have it go down. I'm very lucky this happened to a good friend who has a spare truck. I wish this information was included in the EFILive manual as a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    SoCal fixes on avg 3-5 LB7 ecms a month for me, when they come back with SN#000000000000 or a hosed up BCC segment I send them out and get them refurbished, over the last 7 years I have sent at least 100+ to SoCal and have used the repaired ecms to flash for my bench PC's and my exchanged pre-tuned business usually gets a SoCal refurbished ecm.

Guy uses a clean TIS file as well, if you use a script from a hosed file or a hosed up file the evil will rear it's ugly head again and again.

Often times the stock file has been bastardized by a handheld tuner and most likely has bad stuff in the hex, Ross could probably tell you horror stories about the LB7.........LOL

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by thunder57 View Post
    I wish this information was included in the EFILive manual as a warning.
    People read manuals?

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    People read manuals?
    There are some of us who even read the one for our electric toothbrushes
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY
    - L5P, Motech, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans.
    '05 GMC LLY - 250%, 12mm, 67mm Custom Turbo, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
    '19 3500 RAM - Tuned Aisin 0_o

Quote Originally Posted by thunder57 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated. Is there a way to prep the computer if it had a handheld on it to avoid these problems? I'd hate to tune someone else's truck and have it go down. I'm very lucky this happened to a good friend who has a spare truck. I wish this information was included in the EFILive manual as a warning.
    Order a pretuned ECM. It's honestly the easiest way. I usually can catch if they're going to be a pain because I have to fight with it to get a stock read out. I've even had an early LLY go stupid on me after a customer tried to return an Edge to stock. As soon as I flashed a DSP5 file it crashed. Ended up pulling a bunch of fuses, having to do a security relearn, and finally a stock file off tunefiledepot to get it running again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast