Thread: 06 ECM connection problems

Default 06 ECM connection problems

I have a 2006 Cummins that I cannot connect to.

I use just the V2 to scan for codes and it fires up just fine I go and try and scan for codes and it says: Error $0280 cannot connect to ECM

I try and run 7.5 scan and it will not let me do any scanning. I select the cummins 849 ecm and it says Cummins on the lower part of the screen then 10-15 seconds it switches to Generic but it has the correct VIN #.

I bought the $450 Cummins tune unlock.

The V2 is black and I bought in 2007.

I am running the latest update.

I can Scan the truck with a Snap-On Solus just fine.

Thanks

Bob

Lifetime Member

Hi Bob,

V7 software is only available for editing of Cummins files, so unless you are modifying your file, or logging in pass-through mode(ie with FlashScan and your laptop connected), you will not need V7 software open. The EFILive Dodge Cummins Quick Start guide located in your V8 software installation (HELP -> Documents) explains which software is used for which function, and a range of other processes specifically for Cummins. You will also find instructions on how to read and flash your Cummins using pass-through features. Standalone programming methods can be found in the V8 reference guide, however I will provide further detail below.

When you updated, can you please confirm you updated the firmware and boot block, please post your version numbers for further assistance. You will find details on how to find those version numbers here https://support.efilive.com/kb_artic...7141-YSDK-3270.

You should match the version numbers you find against the software details on the downloads page of our website; the present version numbers are:
    V8 Software: V8.2.2, Build 258
    FlashScan/AutoCal Firmware: V2.07.64 (Jul 19, 2014)
    FlashScan/AutoCal Boot Block: V2.07.07 (Feb 07, 2014)
    V7.5 Software: V7.5.7, Build 262

Assuming you've previously used FlashScan V2 for GM, have you added BBX features for your Cummins? FlashScan is controlled by our V8 software, and given the number of unique controllers and configurations supported by EFILive, users are required to setup which controllers they require.

With your FlashScan V2 connected to your PC, open the V8 software and select F5: BBX -> F5: DTC and make sure the Chrysler DTC's are setup for your device. If they are not setup for your device, you will need to select the relevant modules and Program FlashScan V2.

While you are in the BBX Menu, now would be a good time to setup other configurations for your Cummins, most notably Scan and Tune features. The CMB controller will need to be selected for both Scan and Tune tabs . If the controller is not listed when you click on those tabs, click on the + to add a controller, the right click to chose the controller and select OK.

The F5: BBX->F2: Scan tab will allow you to setup your controller and PID's for logging. *Note: Standalone Logging for CMB controllers is only available on EFILive's CSP Operating system, so perhaps this will not apply to you just yet.

You can modify the F5: BBX settings on all tabs (Scan, Tune, DTC etc) and then program the device at the end, either via the program button, or now more commonly used, the F6: Quick Setup tab.

Cheers
    Cindy

So yesterday I went and tried testing on a different 06 Cummins. I was updated to the most recent ones available. The truck has a CPS5 switch that is connecting into the OBDII connector and then I can connect to that. When I first hooked it up and checked codes it read the codes and everything seemed normal. Then it just shut off completely (V2). I took out the CPS5 connector and connected straight to the truck and tried again. Same problem as before Error cannot connect to ECM $0280. Then I put the switch back into the OBDII connector and tried to read again no problem. Did not shut off this time.

Now I know that my V2 OBDII connector is not fully seated in the original connector of the truck. I looked at the V2 connector and there is two prongs that are longer than the rest. I believe #5, #6 pins. But I believe the CAN signal is transmitted in Pins #6, #14. I am going to try the truck again this week.

This the screen shots of my V2 BBX info...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v2 DTC.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	17202

Name:	v2 tune.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	17203

Name:	v2 tune.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	17203

Bob

Default 06 ECM connection problems

Well I think I finally figured out my problem.

My brother ordered a new V2 to OBDII cable last week.

Today while I was trying to scan a 2011 LML for the ECM serial number I was having the same error code. Troubleshooting led me to the V2 RJ45 connector. When I moved the cable it would cycle the V2 power.
    Two of the pins, (#1, #2)were bent down and not touching fully to the cable. I tune my LB7 more than any other vehicle. The LB7 doesn't use the #2 pin but Can systems do.

I got a hold of Guy Tripp at SoCal diesel. He said not problem just send it in and he will take care of it.

Bob

Well I think I finally figured out my problem.

My brother ordered a new V2 to OBDII cable last week.

Today while I was trying to scan a 2011 LML for the ECM serial number I was having the same error code. Troubleshooting led me to the V2 RJ45 connector. When I moved the cable it would cycle the V2 power.
    Two of the pins, (#1, #2)were bent down and not touching fully to the cable. I tune my LB7 more than any other vehicle. The LB7 doesn't use the #2 pin but Can systems do.

I got a hold of Guy Tripp at SoCal diesel. He said not problem just send it in and he will take care of it.

Bob