Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mode Assignments Locked out?

Quote Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
    Does that mean efilive bought/acquired the 'definitions' for LML and didn't map them in house? I've always wondered that.
    All done in house, we've only got a couple of supported controllers that we did not map (the gas Vortec PCM, 4 Cyl PCM come to mind).
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    All done in house, we've only got a couple of supported controllers that we did not map (the gas Vortec PCM, 4 Cyl PCM come to mind).
    and your favorite LL8/P10? Had to bring it up!

Interesting read though guys, Ive got a diesel in my future down the road (~3 years probably) and of course tuning will play a factor into what I buy!
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    and your favorite LL8/P10? Had to bring it up!
    Ah yes, how could I forget that gem
    It makes absolutely no sense why GM did things the way they did back then, essentially a PCM hardware base that was about 90%+ the same internally yet every engine type seemed to run code that was in no way related to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Interesting read though guys, Ive got a diesel in my future down the road (~3 years probably) and of course tuning will play a factor into what I buy!
    I don't know what GM's plans are for future Diesels but at some point the aftermarket will be shut down as OEM's tighten the security on them. The next generation of Infineon CPU's targeted at Automotive use makes the future of DIY tuning look bleak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infineon_AURIX ,the Hardware Security Module (HSM)!

Quote: "Anticipating upcoming security and protection requirements Infineon has integrated a programmable hardware security module (HSM) into the AURIX family. The HSM uses leading edge hardware-based encryption technology developed by Infineon, the world’s technology leader in hardware-based security technology. This HSM as “embedded chip card” enhances protection against attacks of IP infringement, fraud and software hijacking."

When a chip designer puts hardware based encryption in to the CPU it is not a good sign that it will be hackable.

I think down the track (maybe 4 or 5 years time) companies who make 'race' ECM's will need to branch in to drop in replacements for OEM ECM's which already happens now on a few models.
    Last edited by GMPX; August 11th, 2014 at 11:25 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

I think down the track (maybe 4 or 5 years time) companies who make 'race' ECM's will need to branch in to drop in replacements for OEM ECM's which already happens now on a few models.
    I think that is exactly where we are headed. I was worried for a while the LML was going to be the first of many...

It could have been, there is some EDC17's that cannot be tuned, even via JTAG, maybe GM thought the better of it and figured sales would drop and the reality is that will happen once they are not tunable.

Lifetime Member

Yep- Agree 100%. I originally thought that would be the case... or we'd be changing chips on the board or something else crazy. For so long it has seemed- if there is enough motivation it can be done. Now that may not be the case.

Still though- GM would be dumb to not keep the duramax marketable to industry for boats and other equipment that doesn't have such tight standards. I feel this will always leave us a backdoor until they are putting DPF and pig piss injection on literally everything. Er- thinking about it- probably won't be long.

Quote Originally Posted by RADustin View Post
    Yep- Agree 100%. I originally thought that would be the case... or we'd be changing chips on the board or something else crazy. .
    Unfortunately nearly all modern CPU's have enough flash memory INSIDE the CPU there is no external flash memory at all, that allows them to lock down the contents even further as there is literally nothing to swap (in the case of flash chips) unless you plan on removing a 400 pin BGA chip!

Unfortunately nearly all modern CPU's have enough flash memory INSIDE the CPU there is no external flash memory at all, that allows them to lock down the contents even further as there is literally nothing to swap (in the case of flash chips) unless you plan on removing a 400 pin BGA chip!
    We might even see chips coming back to market to be able to fool these unlockable ECUs, which unfortunately will put us all back running black boxes with god knows what as our final values.

Yes and then they will probably make the diagnostics so good they will detect these boxes, pretty annoying situation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123