Thread: 06 Electronics on an 03'

Lifetime Member

Default 06 Electronics on an 03'

What does it take or what all is involved with installing an 06 ECM and harness on a 03 common rail Cummins to make it work with EFI live? or is it even possible?
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

It's very possible. I just went from an 05 to an 07 ECM for a customer Cummins swap in a Ford. Move about 5 wires and it's go time. In a dodge you would need to piggy back the sensor inputs to the 03 ECM to keep the gauges working.

You wouldn't happen to know anybody that's makes a harness or instruction for this would you? I've got a buddy with an 04.5 who wants to do this.
    07 5.9 4x4, Fully Built SunCoast, II 64/80 Silver Bullet, ARPs, Snow Perf Water/Meth Inj., Fass 150 Titanium, K&N Intake, BD Elbow, CC Tunnel Ram, Own & Others Efi Live Tuning w/CSP5, Glow Shift Max Tow Gauges, 4" Turbo back w/ Axle Dump, 35's, and good Ol Ranch Hands.

Under Construction:
    2003 Chevy 1500 Z71, w/P-Pumped 5.9 Common Rail, NV4500, South Bend DD, 200Hp Inj.........currently saving greenbacks for more parts.

Yeah a detailed "here's what's needed" would be great. It'd lead to a LOT of sales for EFI Live as well, as a lot of guys with <06 trucks want to use EFI Live. I have a buddy that would swap his 05 right now if we knew what's needed. Info just isn't as plentiful as it is on the cars we're used to modifying.
    EFI Live, Maxxed Out auto trans, Edge TC, FASS, 35's, 4" lift, E.D. 62/68/12, 70 hp tips.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRRT View Post
    Yeah a detailed "here's what's needed" would be great. It'd lead to a LOT of sales for EFI Live as well, as a lot of guys with <06 trucks want to use EFI Live. I have a buddy that would swap his 05 right now if we knew what's needed. Info just isn't as plentiful as it is on the cars we're used to modifying.
    If I was to do the swap for a customer again, I would just get an 06 engine harness, goes from all the sensors to the C1 connector. From there, you need to piggy back the wiring to power up the 03 ECM and give it sensor inputs to make the gauges work.

is their anyway you can contact me ablout wiring a 06 motor im installing in a project and just wanna get the truck to run im using mechanical gauges so I only need to get the motor running thanks

Have an '04 Ram 2500 with manual transmission. Does the CM849B ECM talk CAN such that I might be able to use CAN/J1939 instruments or clusters from manufacturers like Veethree, Faria, FW Murphy ? If so, I can imagine fabricating a custom dash to hold individual CAN instruments or a cluster. If not, has anybody done something else so as not to have to keep older ECM around in addition to new ? I've read that all these ECMs use a Deutsch connector ? With Deutsch tooling ( DMC AF8 ) any reason I shouldn't reuse '04 wiring harness ? Any other implications to switching over ? For example, I want to go to the dealer to have them activate SKIM on my '04 that didn't have it from factory. Other limitations ?

Thanks, Sven