Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my torque converter is a wimp

Snap

Well I guess I will just have to play with what I got and wait or take it into the dealer
    2008 Chevrolet 3500HD DRW LTZ
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Sold - 2004 LB7 Duramax, EFI Live with DSP5 Tune
    stage 4 SC transmission, 265/70/16 tires

I looked at log

did some math

found that clutch pressure muliplied by TCC Maximum gives TCC Commanded pressure

I have been told that changing TCC Maximum is a no no but can't understand why.

Seems like that an increase would help lock the torque converter. I know that a reduction does increase slip...tried that and in another trial, an increase stopped my torque converter slipping.

Trying to log my own data is not going well. PID's are not supported. Did you use EFI Live and what version?

Thanks

I am using version 7.5.7. make sure you have the right controler (TCM) selected and then click the button for "check support for each pid" or Shift + F2.

from what i have gathered the 65.62% in the max duty cycle is the max the solenoid can safely take and is the max pressure that will be delivered. raising it above that only risks solenoid damage without any pressure increase. the tech 2 will show it at 100% while Efi Live shows it at 65.62%. 65.62% is max pressure.
    285/75/17 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4.56 gears, Front and rear ARB lockers, Efi Live tuning by me, Raptor 160 LP, Cognito 4-6 NTB Lift, 4" Exhaust, Built Trans by Mike L.

Quote Originally Posted by asmithIII View Post
    I looked at log

did some math

found that clutch pressure muliplied by TCC Maximum gives TCC Commanded pressure

I have been told that changing TCC Maximum is a no no but can't understand why.

Seems like that an increase would help lock the torque converter. I know that a reduction does increase slip...tried that and in another trial, an increase stopped my torque converter slipping.

Trying to log my own data is not going well. PID's are not supported. Did you use EFI Live and what version?

Thanks
    In a 6 speed you do not up the TCC solenoid duty cycle because where it is set at for a max IS 100% duty cycle. The 6 speeds changed solenoids fro mthe 5 speeds, and the new solenoid requires a lower duty cycle to avoid over saturation of the coil and burning it up. MANY have upped it thinking that more is better, and it doesn't take long before your F solenoid fails due to over current.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Finally logged TCC pressure data

Increasing the TCC solenoid duty cycle is not useful in raising the pressure to the TCC. Increased duty cycle did not increase the pressure. Decreasing the duty cycle does lower the TCC pressure.

Thanks for all the help.

so i decided to try out my triple disc torque converter from my build 5 speed transmission in my lb7. dropped my 5 speed and took out the TCC. then i dropped the 6 speed and swapped them out. wow what a chore. dont ever try this in your driveway without some extra help

the torque converter is definitely tighter and drives much better but the TCC still locks the same, or should i say doesn't lock the same. still seems that if the slip is above say 100 rpms or so it will not lock.

i am starting to consider wiring up a lock switch. question for you allison gurus. i know the 5 speed cant lock the converter in 1st but how about the 6 speed? not trying to lock it in 1st but if i build my own locking switch and forget it turn it off...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCC.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	639.6 KB 
ID:	17681  

Yes, a 6 speed can lock in 1st. Also wiring in al ockup switch can piss the TCM off in a hurry, so you have to be creative in how you make it.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

I understand. I was just thinking of just wiring up a momentary push button that i could push to get it to lock then once it is locked it should take over as the slip would be low enough that the tcm will alow it.

If i need to i can rig up some relays and a resistor to keep the tcm happy but i am hopping that a momentary manual activation of the solenoid wont freak ot out

while going over my TCM tune looking for any reason why my TCC doesn't like to lock and the D5231 TCC Apply Slip Inhibit maximum value started to seem odd to me. 8192 RPM??? why so high. is this carried over from the gas version? it seems awfully high to me. just over 8000 PRM, that is higher than the engine can ever rev. just looked out of place to me. dont get me wrong, i like the extra buffer it provides but 8K.

so this is what i did. lowered it to something more sane. plugged in 2000 and gave it a spin. ya, looks like it worked. i could feel it lock while accelerating. feels a little hard in the slower speed slower gear range so i will go back and lower the minimum duty cycle till it locks good

so, what do you guys have for your D5231 TCC Apply Slip Inhibit value. have any of you had this problem?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123