Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VE Map after CALC.VET update

Default VE Map after CALC.VET update

Joecar, does this look right? I switched over to % of max and this is what I see??? unsmoothed at this point, but not loaded up yet

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinbender59/15200401211/

Is it just me? or is that some crazzy stuff right there??? I double checked the CC's per cylinder, it is 713cc for a 5.7, any other thoughts? other than that is what the TPI does for us??

What are the hazzards of having this table's values to high, trying to figure out which direction to smooth it out, push up in the highest value's direction, or pull down to something moderatly high?

Lifetime Member

That looks weird, like you missed a shitload of cells on your datalog. When you log, monitor the map that has the VE correction values. Click the n button so all you see is how many samples each cell has. Concentrate on narrow RPM band, say 1600 and 2000 RPMs and try to hit every cell in them. When you're done, try filling 2400 and 2800. Keep going until you've got at least 50 hits in every cell. You won't hit every single cell, so those are the ones you extrapolate or guess on. You should be able to hit most though.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinbender59 View Post
    Joecar, does this look right? I switched over to % of max and this is what I see??? unsmoothed at this point, but not loaded up yet

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinbender59/15200401211/

Is it just me? or is that some crazzy stuff right there??? I double checked the CC's per cylinder, it is 713cc for a 5.7, any other thoughts? other than that is what the TPI does for us??
    Looks wrong.

Use g*K/kPa units instead (so you can avoid having to play with discplacement).
    Last edited by joecar; September 11th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Sorry, I've been at the hospital the last few days (her Dad is in ICU)... I'll take a closer look tomorrow.
    Last edited by joecar; September 11th, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

Is your IFR table correct...?

If your FPR manifold-referenced or un-referenced...?

Joe sorry to hear about your Dad, I completely understand. My Dad had 3 heart attacks, 1st at 43, then the 4th at 55 got him, I was 26 when it happened, that was 29 years ago I am now 55 and no major issues, just 1 minor stress attack. But oh how many times I could have used his wisdom since he Passed. Make the best of it and make as many good memories as you can while you can, "this is from experience - or lack of, speaking to you my friend"

referenced, yesterday I had a 2001 or 2 K1500 4X4 on the trailer, had to bring it to town for trany work. so I was able to get a good hour of " while loaded" data logging. all across the board, and fairly good RPM ranges. smoothed it then plugged it in to the tune, also added the MAF adjustment and the MAF looks real smooth. It runs and sounds way different now, I am "now" getting a lot of piston rattle "knock" on hard accelleration. dont know if it is lean out or timming, I do have the timming rather aggressive. My AFR's tend to go in the lean diriction in the higher RPM's as well, is this a problem that PE adjustments could fix or do I need to look at the timming first??? I have been trying to map the knock retard, just not sure what PID's to plug into the Map other than RPM?? I have tried 3 variations, and of course I get 3 different answers. if I can figure this out I can interpolate a new timing chart for the tune. unless there is an easer way with out a dyno? The tune is getting closer, and the tougher problems are starting to show up now :-)

also it may be helpful to know that this is a 1996 LT1 with a 1986 TPI on it with a 411 running it, I expect the mapping to not look like anything that has ever been seen before. LOL it is a frankinstine for sure, but dang it runs so well. I accidentally "watching the maping" got it up to 90mph while pulling, and the truck acted like it was running 60mph. it is different than anything I have ever drivin.
    Last edited by Tinbender59; September 12th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks for the kind words.

After you get the MAF corrected, you need to also correct the VE table (because VE table is referenced during transient throttle below 4000 rpm).

If you get knock on acceleration, it is probably both lean and timing... do check these:
    - is PE mode enabling (see B3616);
    - is PE fueling sufficient (see B3618), it should be about EQR 1.165 to 1.175 if the MAF and VE tables are correct;
    - is HO spark timing advanced too far, it should be no more that 24 degrees at around 4000 rpm at WOT (MAP 100 kPa) for LS1;
    - is IAT too high (see if you can get cold air);
    - is ECT too high, try to keep it below 200F.
    Last edited by joecar; September 13th, 2014 at 08:37 AM.

If AFR goes lean at higher RPM, then log RPM, MAF, MAFFREQ and look at where the MAF table is referenced, it may need to be increased a little here.

Also, if AFR goes lean momentarily when throttle is opening (transient) then check the VE table and increase it a little here also (MAP by RPM).
    Last edited by joecar; September 13th, 2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast