Thread: LS376 Crate issues, experts needed

Default LS376 Crate issues, experts needed

My dad has installed a LS376 crate into an airboat. Everything has pretty much gone to plan with the exception of gauges and a couple DTCs. I've used my EFILive V2 to scan for RPMs, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, and a few other PIDs. I'm able to read everything but RPMs and oil pressure through the scan tool, everything has been double checked as far as connections and hookups go. There is one sensor that has nothing hooked up to it, it is the sensor behind the starter, my father used the GMPP wiring harness and there is no provision for it, I believe it is the crankshaft position sensor.

The motor is also throwing two codes P0606 and P0335, which seem to coincide with the issues that he is having. The motor breaks down under swift acceleration, acting like its leaned out since it cant recognize rpm. Also most checksums have been disabled in the stock GM tune file.

Does this look to be an ecm issue, troublesome sensor or something I'm not thinking of?
    Last edited by Butch; September 21st, 2014 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    My dad has installed a LS376 crate into an airboat. Everything has pretty much gone to plan with the exception of gauges and a couple DTCs. I've used my EFILive V2 to scan for RPMs, Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temp, and a few other PIDs. I'm able to read everything but RPMs and oil pressure through the scan tool, everything has been double checked as far as connections and hookups go. There is one sensor that has nothing hooked up to it, it is the sensor behind the starter, my father used the GMPP wiring harness and there is no provision for it, I believe it is the crankshaft position sensor.

The motor is also throwing two codes P0606 and P0335, which seem to coincide with the issues that he is having. The motor breaks down under swift acceleration, acting like its leaned out since it cant recognize rpm. Also most checksums have been disabled in the stock GM tune file.

Does this look to be an ecm issue, troublesome sensor or something I'm not thinking of?
    You need to go back and look. I have installed two of them and they both had the plug for the crank sensor. You have something hooked up wrong, you should easily see RPM over the CAN network.

I am installing a LS376/525 and 4L70E crate setup into a 57 Corvette and was hoping one of you might be able to assist me a little. I am less than impressed with the documentation that comes with the entire setup, in fact the engine instructions were for a LSA series that has a few very different features/requirements. I found the correct documentation online in three different revisions. I was wondering if anybody has a complete specification/part number/every bit of minutia manual about the setup. I have not heard from GMPP yet on any of this. The main reason I ask is I need to know if the crate engine ECM is on the CAN bus protocol. I read on one post that the crate engine ECMs are only OBD II and this is one of the features left out on the crate engine ECMs. Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shutyoudown View Post
    I am installing a LS376/525 and 4L70E crate setup into a 57 Corvette and was hoping one of you might be able to assist me a little. I am less than impressed with the documentation that comes with the entire setup, in fact the engine instructions were for a LSA series that has a few very different features/requirements. I found the correct documentation online in three different revisions. I was wondering if anybody has a complete specification/part number/every bit of minutia manual about the setup. I have not heard from GMPP yet on any of this. The main reason I ask is I need to know if the crate engine ECM is on the CAN bus protocol. I read on one post that the crate engine ECMs are only OBD II and this is one of the features left out on the crate engine ECMs. Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Yes the CAN is activated. I used it to run my aftermarket gauge console. We also had a P-Can cable attached and could see the can messages running live. Best thing you can do is throw that book away, you have to have the crank sensor hooked up, that is the sensor that is at the back of the motor by the starter. The calibration that comes with the 525 is the same that comes with the 480. It is basically running off the MAF. You will have to do some work on the cal if this is a street car.