Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are my O2 Sensors screwed?

Question Are my O2 Sensors screwed?

Hi All,

After months of reading, trial and error and help from my tuner ( who has be teaching me, OBI WAN - Padawan style ) etc, I finally think I have my SDCL cam tune done. Commanded AFR vs WBO2 AFR were close enough for my liking.
    But after re-fitting the NBo2 last night, re-enabling STFT and LTFT etc I am noticing some fairly decent trim figures, along with what appears to be a lazy / failing o2 (Bank2).
    Could someone please have a look at the attached log and see if I am looking at this right?

Car is a Holden VXII SS A4 LS1.
    Mafless
    215 / 223 .604 .610 112LSA 112ICL Cam,
    Pacemaker 4->1, 100cpi 4in cats, 3.5in single exhaust.
    Custom OS 2

I have attached the following logs for info:
    20140922 3rd run was after I had PE etc dialled in to what I believe to be acceptable limits.
    20140923 Final is a short run to confirm normal part throttle stuff, and again every thing appears to be in normal limits. Except for some random rich spikes...
    20140924 CLSD is this mornings short log, with the WBo2 removed, and the NBo2 refitted back into bank two. LTFT and DFCO re-enabled etc. This is the log that I am shaking my head at in confusion.
    20140924 CLSD(1) is another short log that I have done which yields similar info to this mornings.

This tune did my head in for a while, as I wasn't trusting the WBO2 data, as it was telling me that I was lean across the board, despite having done a Calc.VE with the MAF. After much coaxing and further logging etc, I am thinking the Calc.VE I done was crook. The car is driving a lot better, a lot stronger and smells better.

So based on todays two logs, would it appear that HO2S21 is on the fritz? So to me this would throw the STFT and LTFT out?

Thanks in advance
    20140923 Final.efi
    20140922 3rd Run.efi
    20140924 CLSD.efi
    20140924 CLSD(1).efi
    Last edited by vbhero; September 29th, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Swap the NBO2's between banks and see if the laziness follows the NBO2's.

Do you have any leaks in the exhaust headers/plumbing...?

Did you do Calc.VET from post # 1 here: Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log)

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post

Did you do Calc.VET from post # 1 here: Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log)
    I'll do the swap and see what happens.

I followed the tutorial available for download via the main efilive web site http://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf and all seemed to be okay. The only exception at this point was I did not have access to a WBO2. I did this pre cam, then used the data to run SD and removed the MAF.
    After fitting the cam, I refitted the MAF, and re-did the Calc.VE process, then again removed the MAF.

Trims seemed pretty good, but car seemed thirsty, but I put this down to short trips etc. When I got a hold of and put the WBo2 in, it painted a very different story telling me I was lean across the board. So I assumed I had stuffed something up in the Calc.VE process, trusted the WBO2 data and subsequently completed what was essentially the Auto VE process. The only deviation there, was I used a serial WBO2 not an analogue.

mmm odd, I replied earlier and it's not here....

I will swap the o2 over tomorrow and see what happens.

I did Calc VE following the tutorial available here http://www.efilive.com/documentation-tutorials. The only exception to that is I did not use a WBO2 during this. I did a tune before the cam and again after the cam. The trims seemed okay from memory. But it did seem thirsty, but I put that down to short trips
    When I put the serial WBO2 in, I did what is essentially the Auto VE process using a BEN table. That told me I was lean right across the board. I am inclined to believe that data, as the car seems to be running much better, and smoother.

Oh and I don't think there are any leaks in the exhaust
    Last edited by vbhero; September 24th, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

Ok this forum is doing my head in... I can see that there are two replies, with mine being the last, but here I am again not seeing my last reply to answer your questions Joecar.

Any way, I have swapped the O2 sensors and this is the resultant logs

O2 Swap.efi
    LS1B_0005.efi
    LS1B_0004.efi

The short log "O2 Swap" shows similar issue and that it has not swapped sides as I would have expected.
    The next two logs show them running as expected with no discrepancy. I am still not happy with the trims though, and still not sure whether to trust the NBO2s, I can say that now it is in SDCL that the car doesn't feel as strong, almost very flat in the mid range. I am thinking of going back to OLSD and seeing how it goes.

To answer your question about how I did the CalcVE, I followed the .pdf tutorial available from the tutorial section of the main EFI Live page. The exception being I didn't have the WBO2

Quote Originally Posted by vbhero View Post

I did Calc VE following the tutorial available here http://www.efilive.com/documentation-tutorials.
    That tutorial is a little outdated... it is superceded by post #1 of Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log)

That tutorial is a little outdated... it is superceded by post #1 of Calc-VET-correcting-MAF-and-calculating-VE-(in-single-log)
    Ah righto then. Well, that aside I did go through and do a Auto VE, using the Serial WBO2, so that should have picked up and corrected any issues that I had with the CalcVE?
    Well to me that should be the case, yet here I am seeing trims much larger than I anticipated. Yes there was a degree of hand smoothing involved in the VE table and I expected some trimming, but not to the extend seen in parts of the log.

I am giving serious thought to running SDOL...

Is your FPR manifold-referenced or un-referenced...?
    Last edited by joecar; September 27th, 2014 at 10:59 PM.

If your FPR manifold-referenced or un-referenced...?
    You lost me there... ??

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by vbhero View Post
    You lost me there... ??
    Is your Fuel Pressure Regulator plugged into the Manifold vacuum via a small vac hose?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast