Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have an a40 tcm that was limited to a 5 spd calibration, can i enable 6th gear?

Default i have an a40 tcm that was limited to a 5 spd calibration, can i enable 6th gear?

can i enable 6th gear with efi?

if yes, how and where do i make the changes?

if not, does anyone have a CIN for an a40 6sp with j1939 throttle?

thx

What is it in, or what did it come out of? You would probably need a full flash to enable 6th gear which EFILIVE can now do, but last I heard the full read option wasn't available so you had to come up with a full read from a 3rd party software to do it. ALLISON dealers I know used to do the flash over to a 6 speed for the 4500/5500 trucks provided your trans was capable of doing it(had the IMS, not an external NSBU). Otherwise the only J1939 throttle input I know of is the cal file used for 06 only behind the 8.1L.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

We have a sevice that will convert your 5 sp to 6 sp if it is a medium duty application 6.6 or 8.1 from 2006 to 2008. You can select from a factory shift schedule or an improved custom schedule.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

it is actually an a41, sorry. it is behind a cummins motor. since you cant change this with efi, i just need a CIN from a j1939 tcm. i have both an a40 and an a41 tcm so im flexible.

thx

If it's behind a CUMMINS engine NOT in a GM, just go to an ALLISON dealer and they should have no problems finding a CAL for you. ALLISON is tied on doign any work to the GM units except the 4500/5500's, but other apps they should have no problem looking up for you.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Lifetime Member

Sorry to hijack the thread for a quick second.

But am I understanding that we are not able to full flash the A40 with different OS numbers because we currently don't have "Full reads" from the controller just Call reads?

Situation. I have a friend in cali and I'm trying to get his 06 LBZ TCM to take my cal from my TCM. I have the second oldest cal and he has the newest. But the V2 just errors out. Any way to get it to flash other than having a dealer flash it?
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

If I understand what you are asking, it can be bench flashed. We have done this a few times.
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    If I understand what you are asking, it can be bench flashed. We have done this a few times.
    So when the V2 errors out saying incompatible OS version when the controller is in the truck it will work fine on a bench harness?
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

You can use the GM database and J2534 protocol to flash it.
    Custom Tuning Services

Lifetime Member

Oh I see. Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast