Thread: Newb Question About Timing

Default Newb Question About Timing

Hey Guys,

I just got EFI Live installed and going and I plan on tuning my 2004.5 LLY. I had super chips and the truck was in TOW mode forever. I was curious to see the differences between the stock tune and superchips tune. I compared them in EFI Live and became quickly confused about why it makes more power. The super chips tune has the same numbers in the desired boost levels with EGR off table (truck has EGR blocked). It only has slightly more fuel added to the throttle base injection table. It only has a small bit of timing added, yet it adds so much power.

My question is should I mess with my timing or just with TBIQ? Will increasing my fuel a lot but leaving everything stock damage anything?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SuperDuramax; October 5th, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

Other tuners can modify tables you CANNOT see with EFILIVE. In some cases they use custom OS's with added in tables that they use instead of the stock tables. This is why you should NEVER use a canned tuners tunes for a base file, but only a KNOWN STOCK cal to build off of. And I just looked at the 2 tunes you posted. You can see the superchips adds about 10-12% more fuel around WOT, raises fueling up in the throttle based table, as well as added in quite a bit of timing.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed they only changed the timing by about 2 degrees, is that a lot? I'm working off the base tune now trying to get power smoothly. The superchips always felt like it was surging, I liked how noisy the engine was but didn't like the sloppy throttle response.

Could anyone take a look at my tune, I don't have a EGT gauge yet so I'm a little scared to run it. I'm unloaded though and won't be running WOT for extended periods (only 4th gear to pass). Will this blow up my LLY??
    Attached Files Attached Files

They added about 3-6 degrees of timing to the tune in the "power" areas. You need to download the timing calculator and learn how to use it for your timing tables. It really helps to get your tables close to start with, and let you fine tune them. As for your tune, it will probably lope at idle, and smoke a fair amount under throttle as well as shift funny(flare) with the increase to pulse across the board.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuramax View Post
    Could anyone take a look at my tune, I don't have a EGT gauge yet so I'm a little scared to run it. I'm unloaded though and won't be running WOT for extended periods (only 4th gear to pass). Will this blow up my LLY??
    It looks fine...might have a lope. its only a little 30-35 HP tune... smaller than the superchips one. Its a start. Make one small change after another, and see the difference it makes, and go from there. If you're gonna be self taught, gauges are going to be your best friend. You aint gonna blow anything up. You only added about 1* of timing from stock, and are running about a 1550 is pulse iirc. Its a start. With the boost and timing #s you got.. WOT you should see around 1400*. Do some research and get ahold of Josh H.'s timing calculator, that is a good place to start and get your timing close to where it should be.
    Josh

'04 GMC LLY
    - L5P, Motech, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans.
    '05 GMC LLY - 250%, 12mm, 67mm Custom Turbo, 6-Spd Conv. ML Trans
    '19 3500 RAM - Tuned Aisin 0_o

Thanks guys!