Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blank serial number detected

Default blank serial number detected

I have a V2 and all software/firmware is up to date. My e38 ECM has just been programmed and returned to me. Now I need to do some slight tweaks to it. I'm able to read the calibration file just fine. The file is not locked or protected.

The problem though is that the ecm serial number is blank. EFI Live tells me that I need to do a full reflash so it can assign a serial number. So I try - and it won't flash because the serial number is blank! I verified that it was programmed this way because the person who programmed it also sent me a copy of the calibration file and it shows the serial number to be blank. The only thing I know about the original programming is it was done using a V2 & a stream license.

So how do I flash a new serial number onto the ecm if EFI Live wants a serial # first? Here's a copy of the output I get when I try to flash if it helps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blank serial.JPG 
Views:	300 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	17559

It tells me the ecm is ready for reflashing? And then the ecm is in an unknown state? The ecm originally came from a 2008 Silverado donor vehicle with a 5.3 that I had. It was then programmed as a 2009 so that it would work with a T43 trans controller in my 6L80e out of a 2009 Escalade.
    Last edited by ducati2v; September 29th, 2014 at 05:14 PM.

Edited, never mind.
    Last edited by Jester; September 29th, 2014 at 05:31 PM.
    VE Clubby 237/243@112 .618/.614

Which V7 software build version...?

I updated over the weekend - I believe the v7 build # is 265 (it might be 262?) and my v8 build # is 260 (reads 259 though).

I noticed another build was released yesterday on the 29th. I'll update to it and give it another try this afternoon.

I'll post an update later with confirmed versions, firmware, and latest results flashing with new build.
    Last edited by ducati2v; September 30th, 2014 at 02:18 AM.

Yes, please post back here if you still see the zero serial number.

Ok - I've verified that the versions I was trying with were v8.2.2.259 (260), v7.5.7.265, boot block 2.07.07 & firmware 2.07.66

I just updated to v8.2.2.261 and v7.5.7.267. I retried anything I could think of - first picked 'test flash only' for calibration and full flash, tried activating/check license. Then tried all that again without "test flash only" selected. Tried with and without try alternate keys.

Did not try assume lock may be faulty or try additional unlock strategies as I figured that the serial number is really the problem, not a potentially locked ecm. The status always tells me that the ecm is not protected.

But no matter what - always get the same message: Blank serial number, try full flash.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Unfortunately if the E38 has no serial number then full-flashing it with EFILive will not correct that. The memory that contains the serial number is not erased nor reflashed by the EFILive software even during a full-flash. That means you won't be able to license the controller. I don't know how the serial number could be erased.

I'm not sure why the warning message shows up for an E38. It should only show up for older style controllers such as the LS1 and LB7 which can have their serial numbers updated during a full-flash.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati2v View Post
    My e38 ECM has just been programmed and returned to me. Now I need to do some slight tweaks to it. I'm able to read the calibration file just fine. The file is not locked or protected

The ecm originally came from a 2008 Silverado donor vehicle with a 5.3 that I had. It was then programmed as a 2009 so that it would work with a T43 trans controller in my 6L80e out of a 2009 Escalade.
    That unfortunately is the problem, the wrong year OS has been flashed in to it, doing so on these ECM's causes irreversible corruption of some sections of the ECM.
    EFILive will not let the user do this so I would suggest where you sent the ECM off to may have used GM's TIS or some other tuning software to do the 2008 - 2009 OS change.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    The memory that contains the serial number is not erased nor reflashed by the EFILive software even during a full-flash. That means you won't be able to license the controller
    And unfortunately what Paul has said here is why the corruption (lost serial number) cannot be fixed, and he also said the 'repair via full flash' message should not show up on the E38 which is true.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I was afraid that this was going to be the answer to my problem.

Well, this is the second controller I've gotten. The first one he sent me was corrupted somehow and I was never even able to read it. I'll send this one back and see if he can update it with a modified calibration file that I send him.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of getting another ECM. Will a 2010 e38 ecm (#12633238) with a 2010 OS be able to control a 2008 LC9 afm/non-vvt engine with a 2009 t43/6l80e trans?

No, you need a 2008 ECM. The rule is you really need to keep everything married to the same year, annoying yes but unfortunately GM made changes that force this situation.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast