Thread: DTC help

Default DTC help

I know there are several posts out there for this kind of stuff but i am posting because I have not found an answer that helps me yet. When I first installed my EFI live on my 08 6.7 cummins, I had zero issues. suddenly, randomly i will get an OH ding stating see dealership, maintenance required but no CEL. when i hook up my tuner it displays a DTC of $0280. Now it comes up every single time i turn my truck on and about 20 minutes into a drive. Dealerships dont have a clue since the code relates to a 7th cylinder...... any ideas? I have tried calling the rep who sold this to me and his advice was "this just happens with some of the tuners" and did not have a real answer so i have tried calling and so far am not happy....

When you see DTC P0280, find the diagnostic troubleshooting chart (from the service manual) and work thru it to isolate the cause...

also, borrow an advanced scanner (from Autozone) and see if it sees the same DTC.

Either:
    - the DTC is for real, and there is a problem with #7 injector circuit;
    - the DTC is not for real, the problem might be with the ECM;
    - the DTC is not for real, the problem might be with scantool, it is reading some remnant stuff from the ECM.

What is all done to the truck? DPF Delete? EGR Delete? If so, how was the EGR deleted? (i.e. EGR unplug only, EGR and TV unplugged, EGR plugged in and tied out of the way) The more info you can provide about exactly what is done to the truck, the easier it will be to help diagnose the problem.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Lifetime Member

This sounds like the known issue with the overhead chime on 6.7 deleted trucks. Your tuner is correct, unfortunately there is no complete fix for every truck at this time. EFILive is busy working on a fix, but unfortunately some trucks just do this.

Let's be clear, you have 2 issues: 1) $0280 issue is an issue with your AutoCal device configuration ($0280 is no vehicle detected) which should be resolved by using the latest software and 2) the overhead chime which is a calibration issue.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

I agree with Eric, sounds like the overhead chime to me, however given you are an AutoCal user any solution needs to come from the Tuner who wrote the tunes for your AutoCal.

There are a range of additional parameters available on select operating systems that in some cases 'cure' this issue and in others delay the issue so that it only occurs once every 360 minutes per drive.

These calibrations are available for your tuner to manually download and install in the Cummins 6.7L forum section. Once they have done that, they can re-write your tune.

Cheers
    Cindy

Oh, he meant error $0280... lol

Thanks, I'll try to figure out how to download the newest software. I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to this stuff. Thanks for the help guys, just glad it isnt anything too big