Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does PE mode affect tuning VE table

No, it's helped and thanks for the help. I have some basic understanding of the theories but I don't know enough about EFI Live pids/data to know if it gets filtered out and when. When you don't use the software in a while you forget a lot too. I would never want to turn off the pe mode especially on a modified/higher compression motor like mine.

I've always had trouble with the maps. Wish they had some basic VE and MAF correction maps setup that you could just select. The dashboard seems very helpful too if it had the correct data. I know it's asking a lot but if someone could do a you tube video on setting up the maps that would be awesome.

It's been a while since I looked at the logs so when I ran at the track a couple weeks ago I was comparing lambda data to the O2 sensors. I wasn't sure if lambda should be 0.88 (commanded PE) or 1.0. The O2s were 876-925 in 4th gear (confirming the .88 is correct) but were reading much higher in lower gears. Lambda seemed to be more consistent than the O2 readings.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Yes, that is incorrect... AutoVE has long since been modified to allow PE mode (whether documented or not).

Works ok if you keep engine load light... but then how do you tune for high load (WOT) or even medium load...?

Theory was that the transition to PE introduced some inaccuracy (wideband being downstream sees the transition after some time delay)... but since the PE transition coincides with throttle transition, the transient filter removes the PE transition.
    Yeah I know you worked out the Calc. VE and Calc. MAF that PE is not a factor any longer. Thanks for that.
    I have not used either one so I was just going by the old way used in 2006. I did WOT pulls with PE disabled and no ill effects. My engine is not stock, while not a super HP one, a mild one would be the best description, now in boost a BIG NO NO. PE is to subjective to consider it correct without a correct VE first.
    There use to be in the old tutorial section a video of setting up a filter and such, don't know if it is still there or not.

http://www.efilive.com/documentation-tutorials

Please note: Ignore me, joecar is far more knowledgeable than I, I am just showing perhaps where we came from to get to where we are today.

Also note: AutoVE tutorial is the 2006 version still.
    Last edited by Chevy366; October 31st, 2014 at 05:00 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Ok, I was looking at the data in my log and I saw that EQR PID for the commanded Lambda. Thanks. It was in terms of 1.15 but my pe is setup so that .88 is equivalent to 12.6 AFR. Can you let me know how to change it back? Also if the map is setup just to duplicate the VE, the table wouldn't account for the pe, right?. Does a separate table need to be setup like the VE table that just populates with the EQR value and these amounts applied to the first table to get back to the 1.0 PE ratio? I assume the same thing would be needed for the MAF table? Sorry if this has already been explained somewhere. Thanks

Does the Calculated VE, BEN corrected do the PE adjustment for you? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill00Form View Post
    Ok, I was looking at the data in my log and I saw that EQR PID for the commanded Lambda. Thanks. It was in terms of 1.15 but my pe is setup so that .88 is equivalent to 12.6 AFR. Can you let me know how to change it back?
    EQR is defined as 1/Lambda.

So your PE is defined as 0.88 Lambda (in EQR this is 1/0.88 = 1.136)... in the tunetool you can set fueling units to EQR (Edit->Properties->Fueling Units, select EQR, restart tunetool), this will make it easier to correlate between the PE table and the commanded EQR pid (GM.EQIVRATIO).

For gasoline ("E00"), AFR 12.6 is EQR 1.165; for E00, EQR 1.136 (0.88 lambda) is AFR 12.9.

Also if the map is setup just to duplicate the VE, the table wouldn't account for the pe, right?. Does a separate table need to be setup like the VE table that just populates with the EQR value and these amounts applied to the first table to get back to the 1.0 PE ratio? I assume the same thing would be needed for the MAF table? Sorry if this has already been explained somewhere. Thanks
    Yes, the map is a duplicate of the VE table (copy the VE table, then in the map properties click Paste Labels on the Row and Col tabs).

The VE table accounts for airmass (not fuel); when PE enables, the pid GM.EQIVRATIO shows the PE EQR ( the correction factor is GM.EQIVRATIO / wideband_eqr ).

No, just one table, the VE table. Do not set PE to EQR 1.00 (set PE to EQR 1.175 and then leave it).

Yes, same for MAF table.

See Calc.VET thread post #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill00Form View Post
    Does the Calculated VE, BEN corrected do the PE adjustment for you? Thanks
    No... PE adjustment is not needed...

When PE is active, the commanded EQR pid (GM.EQIVRATIO) shows the PE EQR.

Values of percentage of correctness, .98 is 98% , .97 is 97%, in the BEN, 1.00 is 100% of targeted value, as the other way, 1.10 is .10 over 100% BEN. Although values do indicate richer, leaner but not the goal, 1 or 100% BEN is.
    Achieving BEN values with PE means when/if you change the PE value the VE BEN value will need to change too and need to be adjusted to compensate for it.
    Last edited by Chevy366; November 3rd, 2014 at 06:58 AM.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12