Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Should I Download to a Later Software Build

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I like the neat/tidy PLX installation, and I like the laptop table
    Thanks Joe! I'll study all of your recommendations and make the changes.

I haven't made any shift point changes in a number of years, but my past practice is to have the WOT upshift point where the RPM is approximately at the HP peak and the RPM is dumped somewhere in the strongest part of the torque curve. With the WOT downshift, I want to be able to downshift well above the normal factory shift point to take advantage of the torque (once downshifted) to quickly get me back to the HP peak.

My calc_pids.txt file is in the attached files. Also, you're right, I do have FSV1...you can see it just behind the folded laptop. I had the privledge of being one of the beta testers during the transition from scanning to FlashScan. That was a fun experience. If I ever have a vehicle that requires FSV2 (CAN bus, etc.) I'll make the transition then.

Regards,

Steve

calc_pids.txt
    Last edited by Steve Bryant; May 1st, 2015 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post

I haven't made any shift point changes in a number of years, but my past practice is to have the WOT upshift point where the RPM is approximately at the HP peak and the RPM is dumped somewhere in the strongest part of the torque curve. With the WOT downshift, I want to be able to downshift well above the normal factory shift point to take advantage of the torque (once downshifted) to quickly get me back to the HP peak.

The WOT downshift point must be below the WOT upshift point (otherwise either the upshift or the downshift may not occur when expected)...

the PCM's rules are like this:
    - when VSS is at or above the WOT Upshift point: upshift is commanded;
    - when VSS is below the WOT Downshift point: downshift is commanded;

following those rules, if the downshift point is above the upshift point (i.e. they are upside-down), and VSS is in between them, should an upshift or should adownshift be commanded...?

Also, it has been found that with the 4L60E and 4L80E that you obtain the fastest ET by shifting as high as possible (i.e. as high an rpm as the engine valvetrain can handle, and as high an rpm as the transmission clutches/bands can handle)... this is because immediately after a WOT shift the engine rpm gets pulled down a huge amount (unless a very high stall torque converter is used)... so if the rpm starts off as high as the engine/trans can survive, then when it gets pulled down it still is within the high torque range.

FSV1 is perfectly fine (I still use mine occasionally), it is more compact than V2

Ok, I'll use your calc_pids.txt to analyze your logs (I have a whole collection of calc_pids.txt files, I forget which is who's).

Thanks Joe for the further information! I've consolidated your comments from three posts and am working with the tune.

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm running behind today (lol, it's 4:00am and I need to get some sleep), so I'll look closer at your log tomorrow.

Joe,
    No problem. If I could get your feedback within the next several days, I'll be happy! Please take care of yourself and don't burn the candle at both ends!

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm looking at your log file... the LTFT's look pretty good.

You didn't log the DYNAIRTMP_DMA pid, but I'll see how the map turns out without it (it allows more accurate VE calculation).

Take a closer look at the pids mentioned in the Calc.VET thread post #1.

Let me play with your files, I'll get back you later tonight....

Joe,
    I did do some experimenting with the calculated VET method a couple of months ago. At that time, I was logging DYNAIRTMP_DMA. I feel like this method is really no simpler and still requires some filling in of the gaps in the VE table. I'll go into some of my feelings about this method later.

The log files here represent a more traditional two step approach for setting up VE and the MAF as follows:

• set-up the VE table with the MAF disabled using LTFT as the controlling reference plus
    • set-up the MAF with VE disabled using LTFT as the controlling agent
    • both logs were made with the same tune that had VE, MAF, PE, LTFT, STFT and DFCO enabled.

I'm satisfied that VE and MAF are reasonably aligned and working properly at stoichiometric (Commanded EQR = 1.0). You've given me some excellent recommendations already in post #58. My remaining request is to take a look at the two logs (one running 87 octane and the other running 91 octane gas) regarding the KR that I'm getting occasionally. Obviously, enriching the Commanded EQR to 1.165 should help at WOT. So that's the main thrust of my questions beyond the recommendations that you made in post 58. I hope that this helps.

As always, I appreciate your help!
    Last edited by Steve Bryant; May 3rd, 2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added third bullet point for clarity.

DYNAIRTMP_DMA is the air temperature calculated based on engine inlwt air heatsoak modelling... if the modelling is correct, then DYNAIRTMP_DMA should give better results than IAT.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast