Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Download to a Later Software Build

Joe,
    I've done several things in the last week.

1. I've logged some data since I didn't have any red x's with my original OS (9381344) which has a backup VE table.
    2. I've re-flashed my PCM to a newer OS (12208322) that does not have a backup VE table. I transferred all pertinent parameter values to the new OS and everything seems to work fine plus I now have even more PIDS (383).
    3. I've logged data several times with the following results:
      1. Refined MAF Sensor Calibration using LTFT BEN Data
      2. Determined that my ten year old PLX WBO2 displays but is inaccurate using bidirectional control of AFR while monitoring WBO2/Commanded AFR/NBO2 Voltages (sensor is probably dying so I've ordered a new generation unit...see attached screen shot)
      3. Determined that I can't get the Calculated VET BEN to tell me anything to correct my existing VE table.

Questions:
    Please review the attached logged data file to see if you can determine what I am doing wrong. I can't get the forum to upload my CALC.VET.map file as I am told that it is an invalid file type.

Thanks,

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WBO2 Failure Screen Shot.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	17841  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Bryant; December 21st, 2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added Tune 20

Hi Steve, also post the tune file that produced Log_0020.

Joe,
    I inserted the tune into post 31 above so that the files would be bundled in the same post.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you using CALC.WO2BEN rather than CALC.BEN_PLX1...?

MAF map looks good (SELBEN is very close to 1.00).

There is not enough data spread to calculate a sufficiently wide VE table...

you could either log more data (use throttle progressively, use brakes to increase load at lower throttle openings)...

or you could do a Calc.MAFT (disable MAF, use logged data to correct VE table, ignore calculate MAF since MAF is already very good).

I made some changes to you VE table based on the calc'd VE map from your log file...

but for some reason the forum software is not letting me upload the file...

I'll switch to Mac OS and see if I can upload...

Here is your file with my VE changes...

( hmmm, my Mac OS is running a different version of Java )

Joe,
    Thanks for your investigations. Here is some additional information:

1. I can't open the file you sent in your post 37. First I tried to click on the hyperlink and Windows does not associate this file with EFILive Tune. Although, I can open other tunes that are on the forum with no problem. So, I saved the file and moved it to my desired BIN sub-folder/sub-directory and I still can't open it with EFILlive Tune. I manually assigned the file to be opened with Tune, and Tune starts up but it doesn't open the file so that I can look at the B0101 table.
    2. Now to your question in post 34. I'm trying to use a CALC.VET map, but all the results show a zero (0.00) change is needed (see attached .jpg file). I expected to see a fairly complete VE table that had been calculated based on dynamic airflow that was temperature corrected and this is what confused me. This map is based on SEL BEN and when I look at SEL BEN, it appears to choose from "iff({CALC.CL}, {CALC.LTFTBEN}, {CALC.WO2BEN})". I'm also attaching my calc.pids.txt file and you can see that I made WO2BEN associate with the value from my PLX WB AFR which I've determined has failed and always is reporting stoic (see screenshot in post 31).
    3. Considering that my WO2BEN and LTFT are both reporting stoic mixtures, that's likely why I getting zeros in the table. However, this brings me to the fundamental questions that I've always had with the CALC.VET method:

If the CALC.VET method relies on fuel trim or wideband data that is predominately controlled by the MAF lookup table to determine the engine fueling at any given time , how can this approach work to get valid values in B0101? I expected this CALC.VET approach to truly calculate data to fill in the B0101 table.

Wouldn't I be better off to just fail the MAF and do a Speed Density tune? Once I've re-enabled the MAF I'd have a reasonably accurate VE Table and MAF table?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CALC VE % VET.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	17850  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Bryant; December 24th, 2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Attempt to reword questions to make them more clear. I'm still not satisified!

Hi Steve,

1. you would need the latest V7 software from here.

2. to use % units you have to enter engine displacement (see Calc.VET thread post #1)... it is easier/better to use g*K/kPa units instead of % (more technically correct)... I don't yet think that your wideband has failed.

3. this method uses LTFT when in CL and wideband when not in CL (CALC.SELBEN selects CALC.LTFTBEN or CALC.WO2BEN depending on CALC.CL). In many cases it does calculate a correct VE table (I have seen a few where it failed, but only a few). Give it anther try, this time use g*K/kPa for the VE map.

Later, you can still do an SD tune (by tailoring the Calc.MAFT prodecure to ignore the step that calculates a new MAF).

You wideband has not failed, the log 20 file shows a good signal from it.
    Last edited by joecar; December 24th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.

Joe,
    Thanks for your reply! Also, happy holidays to you sir!

1. I know that it's hard to keep up with all the questions that everyone poses, but I upgraded to Build 269 of EFI Live 7.5 about a month ago.

2. I'll look into the use of g*K/kPa.

3. I'll give it another try.

The reason that I believe my wideband has failed is shown in the screenshot in post 31 and linked here. I was using the bidirectional controls to control mixture. initially, I left it at 14.7:1 briefly (WBAFR showed stoic and NBO2 voltages still were switching back and forth as they should at about stoic). Then I went to a bi-di controlled commanded a rich AFR of about 13.0:1 (WBAFR showed stoic while the NBO2 voltages went high). Next I used bi-di to command a lean AFR of about 15.3:1 (WBAFR showed stoic while the NBO2 voltages went low). So in the latter two cases, the NBO2 responded correctly to the mixture changes whereas the WBAFR just stayed at stoic (like a bump on a log). I suspect that the Bosch LSU 4.2 sensor has failed since it has already exceeded its normal life. Also, the controller is outputting an analog voltage about 20 mV high when stoic is indicated on the digital indicator.

All my best,

Steve

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast