Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LT1 24x Conversion - No knock retard, ever.

I was able to restore the knock software tables back to within 90% of the stock settings. Using the Road Runner RTACS was a major help in getting the VE and timing maps sorted out. I don't think there is a proven solution for the 24X conversion due to all the variables in each engines components. I would start by increasing the Knock sensor sensitivity in 10% increments until you see some knock retard.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Any update on settings for this yet?

Quote Originally Posted by evilstuie View Post
    Any update on settings for this yet?
    Guess not.

Well so far I've found that most people use the express van knock sensors:
    2002 Express Van 5.7L knock sensor -- 10456288 and use the knock tables from one of them.
    Either set to engine mode and it gets a lot of knock with the sensitivty set low, or cylinder mode, and doesn't seem to get any.

I've got one of these sensors and going to see if i get any knock once it's installed.

Otherwise the 2nd option and possibly the better one is that EFI-Connection now sell a bung that screws into the SBC/LT1 knock sensor location and allows you to use the smaller threader ls style knock sensors.
    You'd still need to adjust the tables and sensitivty etc to account for the differences in location and block material. I think older ls1's were iron blocks so might be good to start with those types first.?

Anyone else got some insight into the knock sensor for SBC/LT1 setups and tables?

Lifetime Member

The problem is that when you change the knock sensor location they are listening at the wrong time.

Knock sensor 1 listens to cyl 1-2 and knock sensor 2 listens to the rest. Not in a bank like location like the injextors or o2 sensors are.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    The problem is that when you change the knock sensor location they are listening at the wrong time.

Knock sensor 1 listens to cyl 1-2 and knock sensor 2 listens to the rest. Not in a bank like location like the injextors or o2 sensors are.
    Oh ok. How does it know when to listen though on a normal ls1?
    Wouldn't it just be listening all the time and reference it to the CPS position?
    If so it just means you'd get DTCs for wrong cylinders.

I'm more just worried about knock from timing issues from table errors for the motor as a whole rather than individual cylinder knock detection/diagnosing.

I've heard there's plenty of people running these setups, but no info on the knock sensor setup, it seems to be a big mystery non-one wants to share.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12