Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: efilive or hptuners?

joe, a list with widebands would be great (i have to get one as well).

in what circumstances would you need a "cos", when going forced induction?

Lifetime Member

For a LS1 PCM, yes you need a COS when going FI. (I specify LS1 because E38/E67 and newer, basically anything 06+ has factory support for FI).

Also for going Speed Density on a LS1 PCM it is a good idea to run a COS as without one the PCM will default to the low octane spark table. Running a COS lets you have both high and low octane spark tables and the factory interpolation active.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

god, maybe beter to buy a tune? (although, where would the fun be doing it?)

I use both. I think EFIlives COS is definitely better. The fact that I can pull timing based on boost is a big plus. EFIlive has a few other options that HPT doesn't. Other than that they are very similar. The biggest difference is just the layout. In the end, either will work for you. EFIlive is more expensive, I think it's a better product. I also use an LC1 wideband and serial logging is pretty sweet.

COS has a boost VE table which "extends" the normal VE table; and it also provides a boost spark timing table to modify spark advance during boost.

what cos is that, what do you call it? how do i get it, with the initial purchase or download it later on? how do i get all values from original os in there? (would hate to have to copy all stuff in.)

See page 3 of this doc: LS1B COS Upgrade

COS3 for the various OEM OS id's provides the boost VE table.

The COS's come with the software install;

the general procedure for upgrading to a COS is like this:
    - in that pdf above locate your PCM's current OS id, and look at what the corresponding COS id would be;
    - if your OS is not listed, then you would first swap to a 2001 or 2002 OS (by full flashing it in);
    - then you would do the following:
    - read your PCM and save to file;
    - full flash the COS file indicated;
    - cal flash from saved PCM file (from two steps above);
    - read back from the PCM;
    - edit the new COS tables (to place sane values in there), save to a new file (this is your base COS file);
    - cal flash the edits;

you will have to do some tuning to correctly populate the boost VE table.

Note:
    - full flash = flashing the OS and calibrations;
    - cal flash = flashing the calibrations only;
    - one PCM license credit is needed for flashing a PCM for the first time;
    - flashing a COS requires no extra license credits.

If your 2000 tune is stock then you would simply flash in a stock 2002 tune and proceed with the COS upgrade from there.

If your 2000 tune is not stock, then you would compare it to a stock 2002 tune and tell the tunetool to create a script; you would run the script on the stock 2002 tune and flash it in, and then proceed with the COS upgrade from there.
    Last edited by joecar; November 22nd, 2014 at 08:23 AM.

thanks for that. im slowly getting the picture.

so because 2000 year is not supported, i have to go to the 2002 system. it sais in that document, i will then have to retune. that is bad news, as retuning all the idle, enrichment and temp tables is a lot of work and maybe the cars are different in terms of fan controll etc. or should i not be worried? if i flash in the 2002 tune, how much work will it be to make the engine perform well?

also, do i understand correctly, i will loose the maf and closed loop with the 2 bar cos?

did i just read somewhere, that a full reflash can be done with the commercial license only? so i cant do all this wth a regular system?
    Last edited by dian; November 23rd, 2014 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dian View Post

so because 2000 year is not supported, i have to go to the 2002 system. it sais in that document, i will then have to retune. that is bad news, as retuning all the idle, enrichment and temp tables is a lot of work and maybe the cars are different in terms of fan controll etc. or should i not be worried? if i flash in the 2002 tune, how much work will it be to make the engine perform well?

The 2000 Y-car tune is almost the same as the 2002 Y-car tune... any differences can be copied over using scripts as I mentioned above:

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post

If your 2000 tune is not stock, then you would compare it to a stock 2002 tune and tell the tunetool to create a script; you would run the script on the stock 2002 tune and flash it in, and then proceed with the COS upgrade from there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast