Thread: LC9 to L76 swap

Default LC9 to L76 swap

Changing out LC9 and 4l60e from '07 Suburban. Got an L76 and 4l70e as a lift-out with wiring harness, ECM, and TCM. Thought it would be a direct swap and just recalibrate my current ECM/TCM for bigger engine. Found that the '08 L76 harness is a little different (O2 connectors are opposite from my '07 and the donor truck did not have oil level sensor switch). Was going to swap harness and bypass oil level sensor. Then I discovered the '08 L76 has some sort of additional cam phasing so I can't just swap the harness. If I put it all in and run the ECM/TCM that came from the donor truck what problems am I going to run into...relearn VATS? Or should I plug in the original ECM/TCM from my Suburban and program it to run the extra cam phasing stuff in the L76? Would that be a matter of changing the cam phaser parameter to "1" from "0" or would I have to repin wires? Can I power it up with the L76 computer, copy it and reflash it to my LC9 computer? What is easiest?

All help is appreciated
    Last edited by Maxirat427; November 22nd, 2014 at 09:28 AM.

Forgot to mention the ECM and TCM from the Suburban are already licensed under EFILive, ideally I would like to keep those in the truck. Also thought about swapping the pick-up for cam reluctor wheel from the old LC9 to the L76. That way I could use the original Suburban harness and not hook up the cam phaser. Question is will the cam perform properly if it is always in the 0 degree position. I assume there is no retarding of the cam by phaser and the 0 degree position would be like the as installed position of a L76 in a Pontiac G8.

Suspected '07 ECM in the Suburban could handle VVT operation. Local tuner said it should and the wiring in the '08 harness at ECM should be pinned in same location as '07 harness. Planning to pull out wiring in '08 harness to VVT and cam sensor and pin it in '07 harness at same location. Tuner is going to pull all VVT cals and fuel/spark mapping out of '08 ECM and put them in my '07. He feels confident there will be no problem doing that. Then we will not have to worry with body and transfer case wiring conflicts