Thread: E78 VIN change

Default E78 VIN change

i changed VIN on an E78 before using the aborted v7.5 read trick. now when i try using v7.5 and select E78, when i try to start the read i get message that this is not supported controller type with v7.5. any suggestions?

Using the aborted read trick?
    Just select "Clear DTC's" before changing the VIN, some of these late model ECM's need that done (E78, E92 etc)
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    Using the aborted read trick?
    like this, or some variant thereof: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...n-12633238-E38

Just select "Clear DTC's" before changing the VIN, some of these late model ECM's need that done (E78, E92 etc)
    that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by vectorbundle View Post
    that didn't work.
    So what happens? An error reported? VIN won't stick? Is the ECM in a car or on the bench?
    Also, V7.5 does not read or flash the E78, you have to use the V8 software to do that. The E38 & E67 were probably the last CAN controllers to be added for read/write flash in V7. The new (current) generation of ECM's such as the E39, E78, E92 etc all must be read/flashed via V8.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

So what happens? An error reported? VIN won't stick? Is the ECM in a car or on the bench?
    Also, V7.5 does not read or flash the E78, you have to use the V8 software to do that. The E38 & E67 were probably the last CAN controllers to be added for read/write flash in V7. The new (current) generation of ECM's such as the E39, E78, E92 etc all must be read/flashed via V8.
    bench. depends what strategy i use. won't stick if i clear DTCs and then change VIN, i can do that with V7.5. i can't read it with v7.5, although i am pretty sure that's how i did it successfully with an older version of v7.5 and it was definitely an E78. if i truncate the read w/ V8, i get $31 request out of range when attempting biderectional scanner V7.5 VIN change function. i tried different variations and either it errors or won't stick.

bench. depends what strategy i use. won't stick if i clear DTCs and then change VIN,
    But if you get no reported errors then perhaps your battery +12V is missing on your bench set up? The ECM updates the VIN when IGN power is switched off (as if you turned the key off in the car), but Batt +12V must still be active, it actually takes about 20 seconds to fully shut itself down, this is when it updates the VIN as needed.

i can't read it with v7.5, although i am pretty sure that's how i did it successfully with an older version of v7.5 and it was definitely an E78.
    Not possible, E78 was never able to be read with V7.5.
    Last edited by GMPX; December 23rd, 2014 at 11:59 AM.

But if you get no reported errors then perhaps your battery +12V is missing on your bench set up?
    no, it's correct. it's problem specific to certain ECMs only. it's similar obstruction in the late E38s in the thread i linked. aborting the read process is one way to circumvent it. at least that works with E38s.

Not possible, E78 was never able to be read with V7.5.
    maybe i didn't just use v7.5. i don't remember what i did exactly. but it was definitely an E78 and i used EFIlive. i'll try to figure out some other way to do it if i exhaust EFIlive options. where is the VIN change function in V8?

no, it's correct. it's problem specific to certain ECMs only. it's similar obstruction in the late E38s in the thread i linked. aborting the read process is one way to circumvent it. at least that works with E38s.
    Which is why the Clear DTC option was added, it achieves the same thing, just easier to do with a checkbox.

where is the VIN change function in V8?
    There isn't one sorry.

Which is why the Clear DTC option was added, it achieves the same thing, just easier to do with a checkbox.
    doesn't work. i gotta take notes next time i commit some trickery successfully. i am usually able to replicate everything. thanks for your help anyway. i'll have to try something else more risky (to the ECM).