Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Config files

Default Config files

Just an FYI -- whenever you do a firmware, software update it is best to "Format Cofig" file and rewrite that file with new Config file data.
    In the past it has caused some problems with reading and flashing PCMs for me.

Here is how to do that:

"Go to "EFILive Explorer" with controller plugged into desktop/laptop, click on tab marked "F9: Config Files" and "Format Config", then close that and open EFILive Scan and Tune>F5: BBX and do the setup again> "Program" (make sure the percentage to be written is under or at 100%, if not remove some unused PCM parameters), "Config file" gets rewritten. Try again."
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Formatting configuration files can also be done in V8 software using the Quick Setup function under the [F5: BBX] -> [F6: Quick Steup] menu.

The quick setup allows you to program you V2 or AutoCal with BBX controller selections and PIDs, as well as tune files. With tune files you can modify security settings, and flashing settings (such as locking and set full/cal flashing options)as well as format a range of config settings, which collectively can be programmed into your device in a single pass without using explorer.. There is a write up on the feature in a recent newsletter which can be viewed here
    http://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/ne...p-enhancements

And, the quick setup is fully documented in both the EFILive V8 Reference and the AutoCal for Tuners guide (the feature was primarily developed for AutoCal tuners, but it is equally important for FlashScan tuners).

Cheers
    Cindy
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks again Cindy.
    In the past that function would say "Coming Soon", as for reading EFILive V8 reference in News Letter, who reads anymore? ;-)
    So now it is documented on the forum, and will come up in a search or at bottom of threads.
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Thanks again Cindy.
    In the past that function would say "Coming Soon", as for reading EFILive V8 reference in News Letter, who reads anymore? ;-)
    So now it is documented on the forum, and will come up in a search or at bottom of threads.
    I agree, reading is a lost art. We've made a number of communication changes to account for that. We know we have no more than 2 or 3 paragraphs at best.

• Software release summaries in the newsletter bullet point key features. From there users need to decide if it's worth investigating further. Key features are then fleshed out into full descriptive articles in the newsletter and are archived on our webiste.
    • We now include a documentation change list in the release notes so users can at a glance see a list of new and modified documents with each release.
    • Documentation is sometimes released AHEAD of feature releases to try and encourage usage. The next release includes 2010-15 Cummins support, and includes NEW and MODIFIED documentation, which was all made available last week. People are itching for the release, lets hope they've made the effort to read before they jump straight in!

Unfortunately, there is only so much information we can preserve on our website, so the bullet point summaries go in favor of the full software release notes, which are archived on our downloads page.

The Quick Setup article I sent you details the enhancements we made to the process. The first release was a couple of months earlier, which talks a bit more about configuration files. That article can be found here http://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/ne...st/quick-setup

From an EFILive Explorer perspective, it's present function for customers should be nothing more than a tool to move data logging files off the device. If you are using EFILive Explorer for anything else let me know and I'll dig up the process changes. (Beta testers are an exception to this rule).

Cheers
    Cindy

You know a few month ago I did the Config file the old way (what it is now to me) because I tried the BBX and it gave me the can't write memory full error, so I never even tried again, glad to see the V8 coming to fruition, makes it much easier.
    It seems EFILive changes so much it becomes hard to keep up with, unless you are, I guess of the few privileged ones, or read every notice.
    No need to dig up anything, EFILive is not Rocket Engineering (no such thing as Rocket Science). LOL
    Would be nice if a notice popped up after installing new software detailing where to read about changes, you know attention getter, news letters are like spam.
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

You know a few month ago I did the Config file the old way (what it is now to me) because I tried the BBX and it gave me the can't write memory full error, so I never even tried again, glad to see the V8 coming to fruition, makes it much easier.
    I just tried to format the config files in [F5: BBX] using the drop down on the Program icon and selecting Format CONFIG file system and didn't have a problem. I am running beta software.

It seems EFILive changes so much it becomes hard to keep up with, unless you are, I guess of the few privileged ones, or read every notice.
    No need to dig up anything, EFILive is not Rocket Engineering (no such thing as Rocket Science). LOL
    Would be nice if a notice popped up after installing new software detailing where to read about changes, you know attention getter, news letters are like spam.
    I like that idea, and have raised it with Paul.

Cheers
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    I just tried to format the config files in [F5: BBX] using the drop down on the Program icon and selecting Format CONFIG file system and didn't have a problem. I am running beta software.

I like that idea, and have raised it with Paul.

Cheers
    Cindy
    Yeah, it was before the updated software that added the feature.
    I know there is a "Tips" pop up in one application of EFILive, make it new features as well.

Thanks again for your help Cindy.
    Last edited by Chevy366; January 21st, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

What's new has been implemented for the next release. It will automatically pop up on the first application run when new software is installed. After that, the tip of the day will default.

Cheers
    Cindy
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Sounds good, can't wait to see now, should help curtail any confusion.
    2006 Trailblazer

Lifetime Member

The software has been released. Let us know what you think when you install it.

The What's New will pop up on the first run of each new V8 software installation, and is also accessible at any time by selecting View -> What's New from the menu.

Cheers
    Cindy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast