Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LML vane position at idle

Lifetime Member

well I got this issue ironed out, at idle it stays at 5% all the time now. sounds alot better and another thing thing I noticed is that the vanes do not go all the way to zero as soon as the boost comes up now either. I fixed the going to 0% at cruise speed awhile back and now they will stay at 10-12 % and only when in 5th gear lock up on my hot tune do I see 0% now.
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Cat, Care to share how you got this accomplished? I'm working with my tuner now to get the same result on my '13. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by catman3126 View Post
    well I got this issue ironed out, at idle it stays at 5% all the time now. sounds alot better and another thing thing I noticed is that the vanes do not go all the way to zero as soon as the boost comes up now either. I fixed the going to 0% at cruise speed awhile back and now they will stay at 10-12 % and only when in 5th gear lock up on my hot tune do I see 0% now.

I messed with this for a while. Set my position to 40% at idle. I saw no changes. After about 10 cal flashes, lol I noticed the Maximum VGT Actuator Duty Cycle, That thing was the one holding me at 89% all the time at idle. I changed it to 20% then logged and it was doing what i had set the VGT Position tables to.
    08 LMM CC Dually

Canada

Lifetime Member

Wouldn't maximum just be a limiter to how much it COULD close the vanes? That doesn't make sense that it was holding it closed. That sounds more like a minimum map.

Exactly... that's what I thought the whole time. I played with the position tables setting them at different values. nothing, til I set the maximum VGT. It worked.
    08 LMM CC Dually

Canada

Lifetime Member

Theres another way.
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

What's the other way? I would like to know
    08 LMM CC Dually

Canada

Lifetime Member

Are you sure the max table made it follow the vane position? Or did your change to the max table just mimick what you wanted to do?

Have you looked at your desired psi at idle? If you are commanding 1-2 psi idle, it will close the vanes until that happens.

I am just thinking logical through it, haven't tuned an LML.

You know what I didn't log everything. I was just concentrated on quieting down idle. So that's what I did for idle. Now that you mention that I will log to see if it follows the whole table.
    08 LMM CC Dually

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by LMMPerrona View Post
    I noticed the Maximum VGT Actuator Duty Cycle, That thing was the one holding me at 89% all the time at idle. I changed it to 20% then logged and it was doing what i had set the VGT Position tables to.
    Isnt that going to limit overall vane position though? Like not allow full closure of the vanes during exhaust braking or high-idle/heater performance?

In playing around with vane position tables, I was able to get it to stay open at idle sometimes, but not all the time. I ran out of time to play with it and dont have easy access to the truck anymore. But I never messed with B1202 because I figured it would limit overall max allowed vane position at any time.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast