Thread: ECM Dilemma?

Default ECM Dilemma?

I have searched, and read a lot about both ECM's but nothing to sway me either way. I am planning to buy a GTO and curious if sticking with the LS1B (I have a 02 2500 with a 8.1) is worth narrowing my car search to the 04, or if the E40 is the way to go and not look at the 04's. The car will be a long term project that will eventually be turbo charged, as will the truck. I have read the DBW can be problematic with large amounts of boost which the GTO may see, but the 8.1 which is DBW will not likely see more than 8-10 lbs if that. Any real reason to give much weight to the ECM when looking for my next car? If I stick with the LS1B I will likely buy a RoadRunner. I am just getting off of the steeper part of the learning curve of EFI Live and starting to have some fun with the 8.1. The forum has been very helpful along with all of the fantastic tutorials thanks for those.

Lifetime Member

I dont think much changed on the engine-side, just the switch from PCM -> ECM (and associated calibration). E40 is officially a Gen IV, honestly more of a Gen III.5 as it's 24x/1x like the LS1B vs 58x/4x like the E38/E67+ Gen IV ECMs.

You can run boost with both controllers, the issue is usually the throttle body itself not having a strong enough motor or opening a certain way. There are better (stock) throttle bodies to use that help mitigate this (i.e. silver blade LS2 is better than the gold blade LS2/7).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Thanks for the information.