Thread: New to tuning

Default New to tuning

I am new to actually "tuning" a modified engine. I have used EFI Live to disable the VATS and other systems for engine swaps into older cars, but now I am wanting to actually help tune a 2001 vette. It has an aftermarket exhaust already and this weekend its getting a Fast 92 intake and TB. So where do I need to start tuning at.. I have been told to lean out the WOT to 12.7 for 20-30 HP gain. What other areas do I need to change for additional power gain.

PS its an automatic vette.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro68 View Post
    I am new to actually "tuning" a modified engine. I have used EFI Live to disable the VATS and other systems for engine swaps into older cars, but now I am wanting to actually help tune a 2001 vette. It has an aftermarket exhaust already and this weekend its getting a Fast 92 intake and TB. So where do I need to start tuning at.. I have been told to lean out the WOT to 12.7 for 20-30 HP gain. What other areas do I need to change for additional power gain.

PS its an automatic vette.
    First off welcome to the wacky world of tuning....You are going to need to read and learn the basics before you can actually start tuning. Depending on your knowledge of cars and computers will determine how basic you need to go. There are 2 books by Greg Banish which are excellent in teaching the basics and intermediate "how does it work and what to do" topics. He also has 2 DVD's (a bit expensive but well worth the money, cant put a price on knowledge)

Secondly you are going to have to get a Wideband O2 sensor (ie Innovate LM2 or equivalent) installed and integrated to your set up. You can tune non-wot with the Long term and Short term trims but WB is mandatory (can fry your motor without it!!!!) for WOT tuning.

A wealth of knowledge is contained in the EFILive tutorial sections as well. Like all things, you need to establish a good foundation to move forward in a safe and understanding manner.

Good luck and looking forward to reading about your progress.

Ed M

Have a read thru these:
    - post #1 of the Calc.VET thread
    - Calc-VET-Summary-Notes
    - Summary-Notes

those threads cover the basic knowledge required:
    - how to setup tune for logging/tuning (PE, MAF DTC),
    - how to log,
    - how to use lambda,
    - how to create maps,
    - how to filter data,
    - how to apply a map,
    - understanding relationship between MAF+VE, MAF only, VE only,
    - understanding relationship between OL, CL, SOL.