Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ecm controller not available, ( $0281 ) code during ecm read

Default ecm controller not available, ( $0281 ) code during ecm read

during full flash on a lb7 duramax ecm something happend and didnt do it correctly and now truck has no start no crank and no communication with the ecm.. using the tech two i can gain access to all other modules on the can bus network except the ecm.. trying to read the ecm using the fs2 it says error $0281 ive also tried to reflash at the dealer using tis2web and using the tech2 passthru and also using the mdi wirelessly and they both throw an error in SPS for communication issue.

using scan and tune 8 it will not find the controller for ecm

using the flashscan and reading the tune it throws the code listed above.

every module in vehicle besides the tcm has a current u1000 dtc

just wondering if this ecm is a brick or not. and or if any suggestions on how to possibly get it to communicate again any help would be appreciated

If the full flash failed right at the start then the ECM is probably bricked. You should have been able to recover it with EFILive until power is removed from the ECM, then it's dead.
    Contact 'wait4me' on this forum and he can recover it for you to save you buying another ECM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    If the full flash failed right at the start then the ECM is probably bricked. You should have been able to recover it with EFILive until power is removed from the ECM, then it's dead.
    Contact 'wait4me' on this forum and he can recover it for you to save you buying another ECM.
    I believe we are going to ship it to socaldiesel tomorrow and see if it's repairable. It originally had a banks tuner in it and prev tuner applied a efi full flash to ecm and ecm did weird stuff gauges were inop ac inop and I attempted to full flash it back to stock and worked then did a cal flash to correct speedo and fuel tank parameters and then poof nothing

Ah yeah sorry I forgot SoCal can do them too.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Got the ecm back from SoCal still waiting from efilive about if I can get the license replaced since it only lasted ten minutes but trying to read the new/fixed ecm I'm getting a error code $0311 while attempting to read ecm and

$0331 while trying to read tcm

EFILive Office is closed for the rest of the week.

Any idea on why the ecm and tcm are throwing those codes? I just updated both 7.5 and 8 programs to the feb14th updates and updated the firmware

Quote Originally Posted by djv86 View Post
    I believe we are going to ship it to socaldiesel tomorrow and see if it's repairable. It originally had a banks tuner in it and prev tuner applied a efi full flash to ecm and ecm did weird stuff gauges were inop ac inop and I attempted to full flash it back to stock and worked then did a cal flash to correct speedo and fuel tank parameters and then poof nothing
    They probably had a 2001-2002 OS in it. If you put an 01-02 OS in an 03-04 truck, some of the gauges and AC wont work.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    They probably had a 2001-2002 OS in it. If you put an 01-02 OS in an 03-04 truck, some of the gauges and AC wont work.
    Very good guess sir. You are correct I got a hold of the tune that was in it and it was from the older lb7. But the ecm was repaired and socaldeisel put the stock tune on it for us and I tried to read the tunes ecm and tcm last night to correct the speedo for the big tires and I got more error codes

Ecm - $0311
    Tcm - $0331

And all I tried to do was read the tune wether using pass thru or the v2 by itself

Does the truck have an aftermarket radio? I've seen those cause problems. And some LB7s just need to be bench flashed. I keep a repair spare in stock now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast