Thread: LQ4 Tunes

Default LQ4 Tunes

Hello. I've purchased EFI Live 2 months ago at the PRI show and have been excited to use it. The first vehicle I want to try it on is a 2001 Silverado with the LQ4. I'll admit that I do not know what I'm doing. What I'm looking for is a tune to increase the torque. I mainly use it for pulling a car trailer. I realize the fuel mileage will never get much better at 10 mpg with a trailer so I'm just worried about getting a little more power and torque out of it. It is equipped with an automatic transmission. Like I said, this is my first attempt so any help is appreciated.

I started this thread about a week before a trip. I did what they said and I got an average of 11 mpg.

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...nday-12-Jan-15
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Automatic 4 X 4

Dirk, I've looked at the information you sent me. Being my first time using this, I don't really know what I'm looking at. I'm working on copying a few things over from your tune. I will probably have more questions. I do thank you for responding and trying to help me out.

I am not far ahead of you when it comes to all this. I just uploaded my latest tune.
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Automatic 4 X 4

My 2004 Escalade ESV would get 10-10.5 mpg pulling 7700 lb enclosed auto trailer consistently after trans tuning and some minor engine mods. I did add Long tube headers and cat but used a WB and Weatherman's Cal.vet tuning. Before that I would get 8.5-9 mpg towing. With an open car trailer, I was able to get 14.5 mpg with that set up. Read the directions and follow them closely and it will help you walk thru the tuning process. For the trans your 4L80E transmission does not have near the problems those of us with the 4L60E transmission.

Gordy, I'm not real comfortable with making a ton of changes at one time, but what changes would you make that would make the most difference without getting into fuel trims and the more difficult tables?

Gordy, when you say instructions, do you mean the tutorials on this site. I just found them. Maybe in this cold weather I'll stay inside to go through them all.

Yes, at the top of this section you will find the Calc.VET: correcting MAF and calculating VE (in single log) directions. It is not that difficult, but you have to follow the directions completely. Take you time and use the carpenters rule--Measure Twice, Cut Once. I read and re-read the instructions several times before attempting to tune. Also I did the "search" and read all the articles of others who had used the method. Most every mistake has been made so you learn what to do as well as what is often overlooked.

You can do it easiest with a wide-band O2 sensor but you can still do it without, it just takes looooonger.

The tutorial is post #1 of this thread: Calc.VET thread

Read carefully, and follow all the links (especially the summaries).