Thread: First Tuning Question

Lifetime Member

Default First Tuning Question

Now the big question...... what do i change now? I have a Tuned PCM from jesse but the shifting is a lil off.. its slow and feels like its slipping.. I couldnt compare the stock Tune and the Wait4me Tune for some reason.. but i did compare the Hypertech PPIII 93oct tune to the Stock tune... there is hardly any difference. except in the Trans settings..

I got EFI Live so i could learn more bout these vechicles.. But for the first time lookin at all the INFO in the PCM it blew my mind. I didnt know that it controled that much stuff with that many varibles..

I just need help or a book or something that shows what to change, and what happens when it is changed.. Please Help me guys..
    Im goin to call Jesse @ Wait4meperformance tom and hopefully he can tell me some stuff to get started with, if he is not to busy..
    Thanks guys!!
    Last edited by nonnieselman; May 7th, 2006 at 04:50 PM.

If the trans is not firm enough for you, you have two choices,

You can adjust the firmness via the Force Motor Current table, "B3802"
    Or you can change the Pressure in the gear that is too soft via the base pressure tables. "B0701" "B0702" "B0703"

The lower the number in the force motor current table the firmer the shift.

The higher the number in the base pressure table the harder it shifts. Most of the table changes i do in a mail order tune wont show up in a tuning software package... "Ive got to keep some secrets"

One thing to be aware of, Going too high on shift pressures could hurt the trans.
    Usually it is much better to spend a couple bucks and put in a shift kit and or Billit servos.
    "If you can leave a black mark on the pavement, from the exit of one corner to the braking point of the next one, you have enough horsepower."

Most after market handhelds are pretty Generic.. They have to be due to the complexity of making one program work on many cars...

It is always good to start tuning yourself... It gets VERY addicting.
    "If you can leave a black mark on the pavement, from the exit of one corner to the braking point of the next one, you have enough horsepower."

Lifetime Member

Thanks Jesse! Im supprised to see you on this late.. haha..
    I know u got to keep some secrets.. thats part of makin a living. haha.
    but is there anyway you can email me a pretty aggressive 93oct tune?
    I have no idea as to what im lookin at right now.
    And thanks for EFI Live you and hannah are awesome!

Lifetime Member

oh yea.. im gettin a Corvette Servo and a Transgo Shift kit soon.. i just want to play around with tuning before i go to wild..

If you watch the timing, it should max out to a degree before detenation no mater what octain you use.. The only thing left to do really is to finish the wot fueling. It should be 12.5 at wot right now, but you can move it to 12.8 or so if that is what your truck likes.. I set them up to be a little rich on purpose. More like a safety thing on my end.....

If it for some reason dont move up more on your timing, then just add 2 degrees to the whole table then log Kr and remove any that is seen. It should be maxed out though....

Ohh and yah, im still up... it is only 1:30am. I still have about 20 tunes to finish before i pass out...... I took the day off for once..

Lifetime Member

holy crap jesse... i bet you stay swamped! Thanks for helping me. If i log a few 1/4 mile runs can you help me tune it to its liking? or how does that work?
    When you tell me this stuff bout adding 2 degrees of timing across the whole table... which table u talkin about? Sorry for the many questions, this is one thing that is hard for me to grab right now.

The worst thing is... im leavin in a few hours goin to Rhode Island to work.. Wont be back to my truck till thursday or friday.. ugh.. but atleast i can read up on tutorials and learn more bout the tables on EFI Live..

Lifetime Member

what in the Main VE Table used for?
    When changing the timing, is that done in the High Octane table and Low Octane table?
    Where is Torque Management takin out at?
    Thanks!!