Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 2007 l92

Default E38 2007 l92

I can't seem to defeat rev limiter so I can run on dyno engine is installed on dyno and limits at just under 4000 rpm. Any advice on where to look the only thing I found was park and neut were set at 4000 I moved those but still no go.

Lifetime Member

Not sure what your end goal is ... I fixed your VATS issue the other day and never asked what you were actually doing.

Is this engine going into a project vehicle ?

Are you attempting to setup a dyno room for LSx tuning in general ?

Your ultimate usage of this setup will influence the "best" resolution to this (and potentially several other) issues.

As a guess ... your current issue is probably not a Rev Limiter ... it is likely a Torque Limiter.

My goal is just a general learning curve with EFI tuning. I have a dyno room and several of these engines so I just thought I would bring myself up to speed with tuning the stock ecm stuff. My race car has BS3 and I knew very little about stock ECM tuning. My first project was a 5.3 with the ls1 ECM and I powered right through vats delete and tuning it with no troubles. This e38 has proven to be more difficult to self teach on. The engine reaches 4000 or a little less with no load applied on absorber and acts like a car would in neutral ie stock rev limit in neutral.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomsgarage View Post
    My goal is just a general learning curve with EFI tuning. I have a dyno room and several of these engines so I just thought I would bring myself up to speed with tuning the stock ecm stuff. My race car has BS3 and I knew very little about stock ECM tuning. My first project was a 5.3 with the ls1 ECM and I powered right through vats delete and tuning it with no troubles. This e38 has proven to be more difficult to self teach on.
    That's quite the "practice" facility ...

Quote Originally Posted by tomsgarage View Post
    ... The engine reaches 4000 or a little less with no load applied on absorber and acts like a car would in neutral ie stock rev limit in neutral ...
    This is because the ECM is expecting communications with a TCM ... which is absent. This results in the ECM limiting torque output at low RPMs, and inhibiting torque output at higher RPMs (above 4000).

To practice with just an engine in a dyno room, using an ECM calibration intended for use with a manual transmission, will remove some of these obstacles.

Yes I can see that but with the sensors I have and the L92 harness what would be a good application to tune from? I can flash this ecm to something else as I have TIS and a tech II. Got a suggestion of an operating system to start with for a manual trans?

Yeah it is quite a practice facility fully instrumented masonry room inside a building proper air in and out, 2000 ft pound capacity. I tried a 2008 vette manual trans base tune defeated VATS and seems like it is not compatible with my combination. I have not printed diagrams and looked at pin out but set p0068 and ran terrible I assume MAF and other inputs are not compatible with the Vette OS.

Lifetime Member

You are using a 2007 E38 ... so you could use SPS to flash a 2007 Corvette LS2 manual calibration into this E38. You would then require the matching Corvette APP (gas pedal) and throttle body (the 2005 to 2008 "silver" blade model). The APP connector would need to be repinned, and the tune configured for the L92 (versus the LS2).

I looked and have not found a list of compatible parts list. The intake I have is the GM performance parts ls3 intake complete ( injectors, Throttle body, Fuel Rails, MAP) it is listed as 2009 vette ls3. What mass air sensor would work? I currently have the L92 denali maf. Also have a throttle body from truck for L92.

Where are you located TAZ?

I see the 2008 and 2007 although both e38 are not the same service number for the ECM. Would the 2008 ECM be a better starting point?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast