Thread: Electric fans

Default Electric fans

I have done a lot of reading on dieselplace about electric fans. I would like to try a little bit different set up then what other people are running. I would like to try the 06 5.3L electric fan set up for multiple reasons. 1 its a lot cleaner look then a couple of Taurus fans rigged together, and it bolts into gasser 2500HDs with no issues so I don't see why it wouldn't bolt into my truck. My boss is a very well known tuner for GM cars or trucks in Minnesota except for diesels he hates them haha, anyway he has done that on many many HD gas trucks and they all have bolted in with no issues. The 2nd reason is cause I don't like the way they control fans on and off(pluming in a heat switch in the lower radiator hose area), so my question is to you is is there a way to pin in a couple of wires into an LMM ecm and control them with efilive? Would I have to create new tune files and then reflash my truck with them? Do any of you know if this is possible, or what I am thinking completely wrong? If so what are the pins that I need to run the wires to on the ecm? I know that electric fans are not as good as the mechanical one but Im ok with that. Thanks

Jeff

A long time ago I had an idea to control them via the EGR output, but I never really got around to trying it.
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

How would you control the on and off of that? It has 5 wires to it, 5 volt reference, egr valve position signal, low reference and high reference. What wires would you use to power up the relay for the low and high speed? Also how would you turn it on via temp?

You would need to build some sort of voltage divider/PWM monitoring circuit with a FET (to drive the fan relay) so that when the ECM commands the EGR motor above a certain value, the voltage divider transitions and triggers the relay on.

And then you can just use EFILive to tune the "EGR coolant temp enable/disable" tables to control when it triggers on/off.

Again, Ive never tried it...some day Ill mess around more with it. But "in theory" it should work....

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Ya I saw that EGR enable/disable when I was looking through the tune. But with this divider/ PWM circuit, I wouldn't be able to control high or no speed via temp would I? Like there wouldn't be a way to control high and low aka turn the fan on high when temp reaches 199+ and then command the EGR at a certain position in the stepper motor voltage at say 2.5-5.0 volts for an example, if that makes any sense. The computer can only turn it on or off via one temp? I guess that an easier way to say it. I assume there aren't any boards out there right now that I could just buy instead of trying to build a voltage divider/PWM circuit? That's a bit over my head, but this is something that I really would like to do to my truck....