Thread: Custom Operating System Questions - Compatibility, viewing parameters

Default Custom Operating System Questions - Compatibility, viewing parameters

Hello,

I am a newb in the sense that I have never even used EFI live (although I have opened a stock TBSS file and scoured it for a few hours). I have HP Tuners now. I am a hobbyist/enthusiast, not a professional. HPT does NOT offer a custom OS for my vehicle. I have finally met a limitation of the OE OS that I think is a little lame.

When the ECM commands open loop for power enrichment, I want better control of the fuel and air ratios based on load, not just speed. PE is basically an on/off switch with some control of air/fuel ratio for engine speed. The OL gain tables would be great to use, but based on what I know, these are used only for warmup enrichment and PE is the authority when exiting closed loop after warm up. Boo.

Anyway, how do I even tell if EFI Live has a custom OS for my vehicle, and secondly, can I open the file and examine parameters and get familiar. Basically, I am not going to spend $900 unless I am damn sure it will do what I want...

I looked on the EFI live site and through the forum pretty thoroughly. Didn't see any chart showing a list of vehicles, etc. Or even how to go about this.

2008 TBSS - E67/T42 - VCM OS ID: 12618164, TCM OS ID: 24239927

Stock LS2 with TVS1900 and 3 Bar MAP: GM 12592525, Blade MAF: GM 15865791.

Thank you!
    Last edited by griffincox; March 15th, 2015 at 03:49 AM.

Last edited by joecar; March 13th, 2015 at 01:58 PM. Reason: made url's readable... :)
    It's all good until it goes "Bang"

For your TBSS take a look at the E38/E67 Custom OS pdf that cv8r posted above...

I did come across that PDF. Thank you both!

Some of my questions are more conceptual as this is all new to me. Basically, is there just one Custom OS for the E67? Is it compatible with every single implementation of E67? And it uses all the same pin outs from the ECM? Fully compatible with the TCM and all other systems? How do I know which file to use or is there only one?

If the custom OS is a truly blank canvas then there are no non-visible parameters with values in them?

I could be thinking about this incorrectly. Just trying to wrap my head around it all.

Lifetime Member

Hi Griffin, fancy seeing you here with a TBSS!

Only select OSs are eligible for a COS upgrade, but the feature set is identical across the E67s. Yes, it is fully compatible with the stock wiring/etc, I ran one on my 08 for a bit when they first came out to test it. Then started on the GTO TCM OS and never went back to it as I dont need the COS params (yet...).

Feel free to pick my brain, been a while since Ive looked at E67 COSs but happy to help bud.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Hi Griffin, fancy seeing you here with a TBSS!

Only select OSs are eligible for a COS upgrade, but the feature set is identical across the E67s. Yes, it is fully compatible with the stock wiring/etc, I ran one on my 08 for a bit when they first came out to test it. Then started on the GTO TCM OS and never went back to it as I dont need the COS params (yet...).

Feel free to pick my brain, been a while since Ive looked at E67 COSs but happy to help bud.
    Hey Erik! Thanks for offering to help!

Based on that PDF, it looks like I need to open my actual file in EFI Live, then upgrade, save and rewrite (complete), which all makes sense. I obviously can't do any of that without the hardware, software and licensing. While it would be nice to see all of the parameters before I do anything that may not be possible. So I guess my questions are:

1) Can I upgrade my TBSS OS to a EFI COS?

2) If yes to #1, can said COS do what I want (Open Loop MAP and RPM based lambda control)?

3) What else can the COS do? The stock E67 OS is quite powerful. The main limitation for me is the open loop load based fuel control. Fan turn on at lower temp is a meh feature. Don't need anything to do with nitrous. No need for VATS stuff. What other cool stuff can it do?