Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Known issues with March 2015, Release Candidate 1

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mitco39 View Post
    Makes sense Paul.

Thanks so much for your quick replies. Finally just got on board with using this system as I have started doing more and more trucks and this is going to save me a huge amount of time especially now that we can go from ctz to coz inside this program.

Next little question for you. Is it possible to hide all the read commands as well "switch tunes" option from the autocal as this confuses many customers. Again not a huge deal by any means, just adding suggestions haha.

Thank you sir.

Mitch
    I have had this happen too. guys call me and say they have tried switch tunes when they have a DSP/CSP5 switch installed lol
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Hi Mitch,

You can't (yet) double click on a *.bbx file and have it open automatically. But we're working on it, so soon you will be able to do that.

We have decided against automatically updating the firmware since it is impossible to downgrade the firmware once it has been updated. We have been asked about an auto firmware update option and we are still considering it. Meanwhile, the [Check Firmware] button on the main V8 Scan and Tune window is the quickest/simplest option for now.

Regards
    Paul
    That's good. Automatically (or forcing) firmware upgrades will cause problems for some of us. Given the volume of autocal customers and the range

of years past since some of their use can make headaches... It's even troublesome at times just keeping things straight between Release Candidates and

public release stuff. Sometimes I force the customer to have to update and other times they download new stuff and force me to update and as simple

as it sounds, it's either 10 mins of customer service support, 1 hour of phone support, and remote log in sessions at times depending on the customer

computer skill level and intelligence.

The Software has evolved where it's much easier than in the beginning, but It's still quite a lot of unnecessary phone support to keep everyone on the same page.

I had some ideas to make it easier and I'll reach out to you when I get everything on paper.

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

I'm not sure if this was the case before this release, but I thought if you saved the file "Save Tuning file, For Autocal", that it automatically saved it with security set?? I noticed in the last update. That's not the case. Whatever you have set on the Permissions page is what the file will be saved as.

I really thought it automatically secured the file before. I guess what I'm asking is why would you want to save for autocal and let the customer see it?
    DraconianDiesel
    Dodge/Ford/GM Tuning
    2003 LB7 , 2006 LBZ
    2008 6.7 Cummins
    2008 6.4 Ford

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davematthews View Post
    I'm not sure if this was the case before this release, but I thought if you saved the file "Save Tuning file, For Autocal", that it automatically saved it with security set?? I noticed in the last update. That's not the case. Whatever you have set on the Permissions page is what the file will be saved as.

I really thought it automatically secured the file before. I guess what I'm asking is why would you want to save for autocal and let the customer see it?
    "Save for AutoCal" has always only set the Remote License and has never automatically applied any other security settings - other than those specified on the [Permissions] tab page.

After reading your post I agree, it makes sense to always set the "Cannot be viewed or modified" flag when saving for AutoCal. I can't think of any situation where you would "Save for AutoCal" and still expect or even need to be able to view or edit the file. It is something I'll consider for the next update.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default That would be great....

"Save for AutoCal" has always only set the Remote License and has never automatically applied any other security settings - other than those specified on the [Permissions] tab page.

After reading your post I agree, it makes sense to always set the "Cannot be viewed or modified" flag when saving for AutoCal. I can't think of any situation where you would "Save for AutoCal" and still expect or even need to be able to view or edit the file. It is something I'll consider for the next update.

Regards
    Paul
    That would be great if it was automatically set, but the option to "uncheck" it somewhere was available.

I know we discussed it before, but I'm here configuring a few autocals right now and it's always a waiting game for

each individual autocal to have the drivers loaded before the software can talk to it. What is it that makes each one unique

that we have to wait 1 minute or so for drivers to load. I understand the device is unique insofar as serial # but from the

usb device side, shouldn't they all be the same?

Chuck CoW

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,

Hi Chuck,

Each EFILive device has a unique USB serial number as can be seen in \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\FT_Prog_v1.12\FT_P ROG.exe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC_USB_Serial.png 
Views:	306 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	18170

A unique USB serial number has been generated for both FlashScan and AutoCal for about the last 18 months, ever since our production systems were updated to support gang-programming of FlashScan and AutoCal devices. I.e. we now program multiple devices at the same time during production. To be able to connect and identify multiple, identical devices (prior to any EFILive serial or license numbers being set) there needed to be some way to identify each device. A unique USB serial number is how we do that.

If your system is set up to "Search Windows Update" for USB drivers, then each time you plug in a different USB device Windows will spend 20-30 seconds trying to find a better driver on "Windows Update" (there is not nor ever will be any such better device driver on Windows Update, so its pointless allowing the search to continue). You can cancel the search and it will immediately load the driver that is already installed on your PC (when the software was installed). To cancel the search, click on the balloon that pops up saying that drivers are being installed. That should open a dialog box showing that it is searching Windows Update and provide an opportunity to cancel that search.

Or you can switch off searching windows updates completely (which is what I do).
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...x#BKMK_Anchor1

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    That would be great if it was automatically set, but the option to "uncheck" it somewhere was available.

I know we discussed it before, but I'm here configuring a few autocals right now and it's always a waiting game for

each individual autocal to have the drivers loaded before the software can talk to it. What is it that makes each one unique

that we have to wait 1 minute or so for drivers to load. I understand the device is unique insofar as serial # but from the

usb device side, shouldn't they all be the same?

Chuck CoW

Default That should help....

Hi Chuck,

Each EFILive device has a unique USB serial number as can be seen in \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\FT_Prog_v1.12\FT_P ROG.exe

Name:	AC_USB_Serial.png 
Views:	306 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	18170

A unique USB serial number has been generated for both FlashScan and AutoCal for about the last 18 months, ever since our production systems were updated to support gang-programming of FlashScan and AutoCal devices. I.e. we now program multiple devices at the same time during production. To be able to connect and identify multiple, identical devices (prior to any EFILive serial or license numbers being set) there needed to be some way to identify each device. A unique USB serial number is how we do that.

If your system is set up to "Search Windows Update" for USB drivers, then each time you plug in a different USB device Windows will spend 20-30 seconds trying to find a better driver on "Windows Update" (there is not nor ever will be any such better device driver on Windows Update, so its pointless allowing the search to continue). You can cancel the search and it will immediately load the driver that is already installed on your PC (when the software was installed). To cancel the search, click on the balloon that pops up saying that drivers are being installed. That should open a dialog box showing that it is searching Windows Update and provide an opportunity to cancel that search.

Or you can switch off searching windows updates completely (which is what I do).
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...x#BKMK_Anchor1

Regards
    Paul

That should help, but if I switch it off then it means it's switched off globally for all USB devices and not just autocal?

Chuck CoW

That's good. Automatically (or forcing) firmware upgrades will cause problems for some of us.
    But when people don't update the firmware to match the software releases it causes us support problems, the firmware works hand in hand with the PC side software, they have to match.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

That should help, but if I switch it off then it means it's switched off globally for all USB devices and not just autocal?

Chuck CoW
    Yes, it would be switched off for all driver installations.

But you can always manually search Windows Update for drivers like this (right click on a device and select "Update Driver"):

Name:	wu.PNG 
Views:	239 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	18171

I prefer to handle driver installs manually like that.

Another option would be to disable searching Windows Update while you are preparing multiple new AutoCals and then re-enabling it afterwards.

Regards
    Paul

Hi Mitch,

You can't (yet) double click on a *.bbx file and have it open automatically. But we're working on it, so soon you will be able to do that.

We have decided against automatically updating the firmware since it is impossible to downgrade the firmware once it has been updated. We have been asked about an auto firmware update option and we are still considering it. Meanwhile, the [Check Firmware] button on the main V8 Scan and Tune window is the quickest/simplest option for now.

Regards
    Paul
    I would not like an Auto-Update Firmware option, I want to be able to update it when I want, not when I plug in my V2.

JMHO
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast