Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Known issues with March 2015, Release Candidate 1

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    I would not like an Auto-Update Firmware option, I want to be able to update it when I want, not when I plug in my V2.

JMHO
    I meant it as more in an end user situation where there would be no reason for the customer to not update the autocal to the matching software version they are running. I thought it just a way to save the end user mouse clicks if you could store (only if you wanted to) the firmware in the bbx file. Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    I would not like an Auto-Update Firmware option, I want to be able to update it when I want, not when I plug in my V2.

JMHO
    AGREED. I feel the same way as well.

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Agreed... BUT YES, it causes problems for you with support.

YES, it causes problems for ME having many autocals out there and everyone has different software.

YES, it causes problems for the END USER cause he's not the designer of the software, not a tuner,

and usually can barely turn on a computer no less wrap their head around drivers, firmware, release candidates,

public releases, etc. They just want their shit to work and don't care how.

If EFILIVE is wasting lots of time with support for issues such as this, just remember that they are usually calling the tuner first.

I think there can be a better way to handle the software updates and compatibility issues, but we all need to toss around some ideas

while each of us considers the possible consequences for the developers, the tuners, and the users.

I'm thinking about this good cause it's always been a problem. All of us are always excited to get the latest STUFF, but all too often

it comes with a price.

I'll keep thinking about this and get back to you soon.

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Thanks Chuck, suggestions are always welcome.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Updated to the newest RC1 version and went to read a P12 and had a hard time reading through V8 (3 attempts one was a $101 error, another was a $0311 with a $11 Mode Not Supported) it finally read all the way through but gives a error that the calibration contains one or more invalid/incorrect checksums, OS has red "X" beside it says OS is 12627882, checksum is $6FDDC631.

Says in error block balloon, will not let me reflash due to checksum error.

It use to work fine what happened? Old checksum in an older tune is $D14F1F23, seems "engine operation" and OS are different, old "engine operation" checksum $2E10FFAA, new checksum $A5570DD4, when I say old it is still a .ctz file.

I just did "update checksum' and got a warning message that it could corrupt the controller, safe?
    Has green check mark now. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    It use to work fine what happened?
    Don't know, can you send the trace files to support?

I just did "update checksum' and got a warning message that it could corrupt the controller, safe?
    No, definitely not safe, don't flash that in.
    You may say, well why put the option there? There is some occasions when it needs to be done, however the warning holds true.

Also, can you please post this in the RC1 release thread, problems with RC1 should be posted in there. That is probably the only thread Paul will be monitoring for problems.
    Before you do though are you 100% sure you updated the firmware too? We've had a number of people report issues with RC1 comms and each time it is because they didn't update the V2 firmware as well. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay carry over from P12 section post.
    Yes RC1 installed and firmware updated too. When you open the software it prompts you to update the firmware, I always do.

When I first opened V8 software got a message stating that controller section had a checksum error with one of the controllers and did I want to check for new checksum, I did so and it cleared the red "X" from the list of controllers. The controller was not the P12 but a "E" series I don't remember exactly which one but 100% sure it was further down the list and was not the P12. Did not get a warning not to use any updated checksum controller then, just when I did the checksum on the P12 tune file. I have an older tune file with the correct checksum which I posted within the body of the OP.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

When I first opened V8 software got a message stating that controller section had a checksum error with one of the controllers and did I want to check for new checksum, I did so and it cleared the red "X" from the list of controllers. The controller was not the P12 but a "E" series I don't remember exactly which one but 100% sure it was further down the list and was not the P12. Did not get a warning not to use any updated checksum controller then, just when I did the checksum on the P12 tune file. I have an older tune file with the correct checksum which I posted within the body of the OP.
    Not sure I understand this part correctly:
    When I first opened V8 software got a message stating that controller section had a checksum error with one of the controllers and did I want to check for new checksum, I did so and it cleared the red "X" from the list of controllers.
    I'm not sure what this means: "controller section had a checksum error with one of the controllers". I don't know what a controller section is. Do you mean to say "segments" instead of "controllers"? If you really did mean "controllers", then unfortunately I don't know what you are referring to.

The V8 software does not warn about segment checksum errors when opening a tune file (at least I don't think it does).
    The V8 software does not ask you to correct the checksum errorrs (again, I don't think it does).

The V8 software should not have asked you or prompted you to correct anything, it should have just displayed the red X next to each segment that had an incorrect checksum detected. You can only correct them in V8 by right clicking on the segment with the incorrect checksum and selecting "Force Checksum to be Correct".

So before I can continue investigating this in detail, I really need a more accurate description of what steps you performed and what the EFILive software did and/or displayed that you think is not correct.

Also, if you can send me any files that have incorrect checksums that would help (I didn't see any files attached to the original post in the P12 section).
    And please send me any *.htx trace files from the failed P12 read attempts.
    Send to paul@efilive.com

Thanks
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Already sent trace files (5838-UHCB-8296 --- 81c9f9d7), doesn't PCM stand for Power Control Module? So PCM = controller, isn't a controller a PCM? Semantics. Is there an "E" segment? Maybe an "E" as in E67 controller (PCM)? ;-)

"that you think are not correct" -- really? A red "X" is a indicator of something being incorrect, correct, that I am 100% certain. :-)

I can't send the file with incorrect checksums as I stated they have been corrected and saved through the software, I can send the file that has been corrected thought. Tell me how to revert back to original and I will gladly send to you. Don't ask me to reread the file again unless you offer a faster way of doing that without errors. :-)

Out of my frustration of having to do a read several times I did take out my phone and snap a few shots.

Again a Linux user so not always in Winders.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Lifetime Member

PCM= Powertrain Control Module
    ECM= Engine Control Module
    TCM= Transmission Control Module

So they're all related as a PCM can function as both an ECM and TCM, but the reverse is not true. Similar to a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square.

I havent read a P12 in a while unfortunately so I cant tell you if it's a new issue.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Chevy366, your posts are very hard to follow, I've read through them three times and I feel a bit like Paul, just left trying to figure out exactly what you are trying to say, eg, this....
    When I first opened V8 software got a message stating that controller section had a checksum error with one of the controllers and did I want to check for new checksum, I did so and it cleared the red "X" from the list of controllers.
    Please don't get frustrated at those trying to assist when what you wrote makes no sense at all.
    FWIW we were able to read a P12 on the bench no problem with this release, so it must be an issue when on a vehicle which is why Paul asked for the trace files, not sure why you had to bold and big font that point.

doesn't PCM stand for Power Control Module? So PCM = controller, isn't a controller a PCM? Semantics. Is there an "E" segment? Maybe an "E" as in E67 controller (PCM)? ;-)
    What has this got to do with not reading your P12? If you are trying to describe a problem you don't say something like this....
    I selected the thing from the list and clicked that button then the other message popped up about something else and I clicked the red thing when I should have chosen the other thing from the list.........(hard to figure out isn't it). Correct terminology reduces frustration for everyone involved.
    Last edited by GMPX; March 27th, 2015 at 09:17 AM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

I didn't mean to make things even more confusing, sorry here's why I am confused...
    I've quoted your post word-for-word...
    When I first opened V8 software got a message
    The V8 software does not give you messages about checksum errors when the software is "first opened". (At least I don't think it does. If it really does, then I need to investigate that).
    So my confusion for that statment: Was it really a checksum error? Was it some other error unrelated to a checksum? Is the software showing a checksum error for some other reason (i.e. a checksum fault in the V8 software executable itself)? I was just trying to clarify the answers to those questions.

stating that controller section had a checksum error with one of the controllers
    I don't know what a controller section is. I simply wanted to clarify that you meant to say "segment" or "controller segment".
    I also got confused by your term with one of the controllers (again you probably mean with one of the segments). But the way you worded it got me thinking of the list of controllers (i.e. list of tune files) that appear on the front screen of EFILive as soon as you start the V8 software. Maybe the software is somehow reporting an error that one of the controllers (i.e. tune files) in that list is somehow faulty, I thought maybe it could be showing a summary of segment checkusm faults for each file and popping up a warning that one of the controllers (i.e. the tune files) in that list has a bad checksum. I don't think the software does that but I can't be entirely sure, just asking for clarification.

and did I want to check for new checksum
    You should never ever get asked by the V8 software to check for new checksum. Yes, a red X is displayed next to each segment that has an incorrect checksum but the software will never ask you to correct them. You must right click on one or more segments and select "Force Checksum to be Correct". So if the software really did ask you to correct the checksums I need to know that because that is not how it should work.

Already sent trace files (5838-UHCB-8296 --- 81c9f9d7), doesn't PCM stand for Power Control Module? So PCM = controller, isn't a controller a PCM? Semantics. Is there an "E" segment? Maybe an "E" as in E67 controller (PCM)? ;-)
    You said this in the previous post
    I have an older tune file with the correct checksum which I posted within the body of the OP.
    There is no file attached to the body of the OP, which I assume means Original Post. I was just asking for you to send me that file. Or maybe your statement meant that you have a file that used to have a bad checksum but that you've now corrected it. And that you posted that fact/information (not the actual file) in the original post. Its not clear to me which of those two meanings is correct. I assumed you meant that you had attached the file to the original post, my assumption may have been wrong.

And this:
    (5838-UHCB-8296 --- 81c9f9d7)
    Is that meant to be a link to the help desk ticket that you have logged? If so, that is not a valid link. If you have logged a help desk ticket can you please send a proper link to your ticket so I can look up your ticket.

I have no idea why you're discussing the differences between ECM and PCM. Did I say something that confused those two terms in my original post? Maybe the confusion has to do with you using the term "controller" when I think you meant to use the term "segment".

Tell me how to revert back to original and I will gladly send to you. Don't ask me to reread the file again unless you offer a faster way of doing that without errors. :-)
    You can't revert a checksum that has been corrected back to its incorrect state.
    If you really want this solved, then the only way would be to re-read the controller and send me the *.ctz tune file (that has the bad checksum segments in it) and matching *.htx trace file.
    I too wish there was a faster way to read it, but at 41,600bps it is slower than most dial up Internet connections were back in the 90's

I understand you're frustrated with something not working properly in the software. But I really am confused about what you've posted. I don't want to rush off trying to fix something if I've misunderstood the problem that you're describing. I've done that before, I've assumed I knew what the problem was only to find out days later and much wasted time later that I was wrong. The more you can help me, the sooner I can get the correct fix done.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast