Thread: new, had my truck tuned, looking for answers

Question new, had my truck tuned, looking for answers

ok I had my truck tuned, 05 stock LLY possibly larger injectors, the only reason I don't know this is because I bought the truck a week ago with 211000 on the dash,
    not bad injectors, read it with my dads crappy hypertech before purchasing anything, and it said code 091, return to stock;
    took the truck to a local efi live guy, he was able to return it to stock, and installed a basic dsp5, containing stock, mileage, heavy tow with brake, street and performance(100 horse)
    the truck definatly had a douche tune (smoke tune), I couldn't hear the turbo spool when I first got the truck, but after the tuning I can tell it is performing up to par, yet the truck still hazes smoke under basic acceleration. which led the tuner to believe that when the injectors were replaced they stuck larger ones in, my guess would be a streetable 100 horse over, judging there has been no other modifications that I can find.

so here is my question, how noticeable would the difference between the mileage and heavy tow with brake tune be vs. the 100horse tune??
    I know I wont hear the engine brake, but will it only be in effect in tow haul mode or all the time on that tune no matter the mode the transmission is in?
    he said that the dsp5 wasn't reading on the truck after the initial test drive, but my kids were cranky and it was running better, way better than it was. I got 23 mpg for 60 miles on the way home, in both 55mph backroads of Missouri and on the highway cruising at 70.
    I just got the tunes put on yesterday, but id like to try to bump up the boost level across the rpm range safely, increase the transmission pressure as high as possible just with tuning, keep my stock shift points, yet increase shift firmness according to the tune, but most importantly make sure the dsp5 is working and fix it,
    I know the tuning and tweeking would take time, but what about making the trans pressure higher and double checking the dsp5?? he and I both have kids, and I don't want to be a bother, but id like to get it tweeked for max mpg and performance as quickly as possible.
    how would I "test the dsp5 without the tuner, to confirm that it isn't just the bigger injectors that are causing the hard to define differences in the tunes???

For starters you cannot change trans pressures via tuning on a 5 speed. Trans pressure is a mechanical function on ALLISONS before 2011. 2nd, unless you or your tuner are VERY familiar with the ALLISON, I do not reccomend changing shift points. To make it shift firmer is also a bad idea. Even built ALLISONS still shift close to stock. Hard shifts=tie ups, and tie ups=broken ALLISON. They can be made to shift a bit crisper, but you don't want to go to far with it(and the adjustments are made in the ECM tuning). As to it having bigger injectors, your tuner should be able to determine this. Tell him to cross check a stock injection chart against what it is injecting at idle. It should be injecting roughly 8-9MM3 of fuel at idle, if it is saying this with a stock tune, then chances are it has stock inejctors. If it is saying something like 3-5MM3 of fuel at idle, the injectors are either worn out, or it has oversized injectors in it. As to the DSP5 tune, I had one do this a few weeks ago. It took 3 flashes before the ECM decided to start acting right, and it took the tune correctly.

Most of your questions should be asked to your tuner as he is the one tuning it, and should have the answers to them for you.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

yeah after I wrote this I spoke with him and he said the same thing, really all I would want to change would be the line pressure and crisp up the shifts a bit. what leads us to believe this is when I bought the truck, it smoked like a non turbo, cruise control on the highway, any time you tried to speed up at all, but it was clean at idle, I had an oil analysis done at the local cat/fabic, which concluded just a dirty tune... the truck does still smoke quite a bit with the stock tune, but now the turbo is spooling correctly and the truck feels like it has a 90 horse tune in it, I have talked to my tuner and we are setting a date for next week to go through and "clean" the tunes up. im purely here on the forum for additional research and feedback. this is the second dmax ive had, but with my last one I used a ppe xcelerator standard. I loved how clean it ran and all, but decided to go with efi live this time for the on the fly adjustability and the ability to maximize fuel economy. he wants some more time on the truck which is fine by me, but since its my truck and all im just trying to educate myself with as much knowledge as possible so he and I can have a greater understanding of each other while conversing on the tunes.
    thankyou for the injector input, ill jot it down in my notes for when we play with the tunes.
    as far as the dsp5 he said it happens sometimes as well and he can sort it out no biggie.

hypothetically speaking if it has 100 horse injectors, what would the estimate we would have to defuel the truck to get it close to clean to start.
    also, as far as timing, which provides a cleaner burn, advancing or retarding it?
    which one adds more torque?
    and what is the max boost I can SAFELY apply to a stock engine with no headstuds, to help clean the burn and provide a good towing/street/performance tunes??

also, will my mpg monitor on the truck be thrown off in anyway because of the larger injectors and it thinking its stock? or am I really getting 23mpg with a stock tune, in a crew cab 3/4 truck?? if so that's friggin awesome, if now how can it be corrected??

Quote Originally Posted by 86dmaxtheo View Post
    also, will my mpg monitor on the truck be thrown off in anyway because of the larger injectors and it thinking its stock? or am I really getting 23mpg with a stock tune, in a crew cab 3/4 truck?? if so that's friggin awesome, if now how can it be corrected??
    If injector size is changed, or even if you only change pulse width to add fuel, kiss the DIC goodby for accuracy. There is a table to compensate it, but with oversized inejctors chances are you will never get it dead on. Theres a reason we all refer to it as the lie o meter.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

ah I knew something didn't make sense to me, and it was too good to be true.
    ill just keep that from my wife for right now.
    thanks for all your help sir.
    have a good weekend from here in Missouri.