Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: newb tuning question

Default LS7 CNC Head Tuning Adjustments

I recently had my LS7 Heads reworked by Lingenfelter and am in the process of adjusting my VVE maps to match the adjusted airflows. The CNC program was done on the heads so they flow better. I am planning on following the Virtual VE tutorial that EFI Live has put together. I'll do this with the MAF disabled. I am not sure what else I need to do with this other than adjusting the main VVE Table (B8101). After I am done I plan on turning my MAF back on. I want to run the car as if it's still in control, but adjust the B8101 table to match the new flow of the heads. I will also adjust the Power Enrichment tables so I am running a little leaner (12.6) from the stock settings. I'll end up logging this to be sure I am safe.

Questions:
    1) is my plan of attack reasonable?
    2) Do I need to adjust the closed loop VVE table (B8102) at all?
    3) I figured my MAF was OK since I didn't adjust it or the intake? Do I need to re-tune my MAF? If I did this I would disable change the B8024 and B8025 figures so that it never referenced the VE tables. Then use the WB BEN values to adjust both B1097 and B1098. Reasonable?
    4) Any other steps I am missing?
    Last edited by 08z06; April 27th, 2015 at 07:17 AM.

crickets

Quote Originally Posted by 08z06 View Post
    I recently had my LS7 Heads reworked by Lingenfelter and am in the process of adjusting my VVE maps to match the adjusted airflows. The CNC program was done on the heads so they flow better. I am planning on following the Virtual VE tutorial that EFI Live has put together. I'll do this with the MAF disabled. I am not sure what else I need to do with this other than adjusting the main VVE Table (B8101). After I am done I plan on turning my MAF back on. I want to run the car as if it's still in control, but adjust the B8101 table to match the new flow of the heads. I will also adjust the Power Enrichment tables so I am running a little leaner (12.6) from the stock settings. I'll end up logging this to be sure I am safe.

Questions:
    1) is my plan of attack reasonable?
    2) Do I need to adjust the closed loop VVE table (B8102) at all?
    3) I figured my MAF was OK since I didn't adjust it or the intake? Do I need to re-tune my MAF? If I did this I would disable change the B8024 and B8025 figures so that it never referenced the VE tables. Then use the WB BEN values to adjust both B1097 and B1098. Reasonable?
    4) Any other steps I am missing?
    1) Yes. Do you have the VVE Tutorial and The VVE Guide (by swingtan/Simon)...?
    2) I'm not sure, but wouldn't you copy B8101 to B8102...? (how are you planning to correct B8102...?)
    3) You should correct the MAF since the MAF is affected by ANY change between the air cleaner/filter and the valves in the heads. Yes, you want to disable VE and CL and use WB to correct both MAF tables.
    4) Check the PE TPS Enable, make sure it is not too tight or too loose. Also might have to do some idle tuning also.

Try to avoid thinking in AFR (can you say what the stoich AFR of your current fuel tank is...?) You want PE set to EQR 1.167 (this is leaner than EQR 1.175, and much leaner than the factory, but first make sure VE and MAF are correct).

What commanded fuel pid are you logging (SAE.LAMBDA)...? Make sure it behaves correctly.
    What wideband lambda pid are you logging (EXT.WO2LAM1)(which wideband do you have).
    Create a BEN calc pid using those two pids.

1) I do have the guide and planned on following that for tuning the VVE tables.
    2) I wasn't sure of the B8102 tables were active given that B8026 (Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Option) is set to NO. I figured the B8102 table wasn't active. Am I wrong here?
    3) I plan on doing this per the VVE Tutorial. I will log External Wideband* EQ to get my BEN factor to apply to the B1097 and B1098 tables. I'll have to run this twice to get each table right? Lock it in "low flow" and "high flow" separately to get the tables hammered out?
    4) Are you referring to the B1056 table? I was going to adjust these down lower and increase the B1057 factor (Mode MAP threshold) so that PE was enabled above a certain MAP pressure. Where should I adjust idle tuning from B1848 and B1847? I figured if I corrected VVE's and the MAF it would adjust accordingly so my Idle tuning would be ok. Is that not the case?

Correct on the commanded and measured AFR/Lambda Pids. How do I go about entering a calculated PID? I tried to look that up but it appears I have to do it through notepad and the
    calc_pids.txt file?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!!! I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    1) Yes. Do you have the VVE Tutorial and The VVE Guide (by swingtan/Simon)...?
    2) I'm not sure, but wouldn't you copy B8101 to B8102...? (how are you planning to correct B8102...?)
    3) You should correct the MAF since the MAF is affected by ANY change between the air cleaner/filter and the valves in the heads. Yes, you want to disable VE and CL and use WB to correct both MAF tables.
    4) Check the PE TPS Enable, make sure it is not too tight or too loose. Also might have to do some idle tuning also.

Try to avoid thinking in AFR (can you say what the stoich AFR of your current fuel tank is...?) You want PE set to EQR 1.167 (this is leaner than EQR 1.175, and much leaner than the factory, but first make sure VE and MAF are correct).

What commanded fuel pid are you logging (SAE.LAMBDA)...? Make sure it behaves correctly.
    What wideband lambda pid are you logging (EXT.WO2LAM1)(which wideband do you have).
    Create a BEN calc pid using those two pids.

You are correct, you only need to tune the one VE table that is active.

B1097 and B1098: you can make two maps and run one log (make sure you cover sufficient MAF range)(also remember, steady progressive throttle gives better data than sudden/snap throttle).

There are some idle tuning threads here, I'll find suitable ones (altho the same concepts follow across ECM types).

Which pids are you going to use for Lambda/EQR...? Probably SAE.LAMBDA (log it and check whether it behaves like Lambda ) and EXT.WO2LAM1 (which wideband do you have...?).

Note that any of the BEN pids in any of the tuning method may be replaced with this BEN pid (or variations of it):

WO2BEN = {EXT.WO2LAM1} * {GM.EQIVRATIO} = {EXT.WO2LAM1} / {SAE.LAMBDA}

( this nicely avoids AFR pids )

( but make sure SAE.LAMBDA behaves like Lambda and not EQR )

thanks for the help. I logged some BEN factors for my MAF last night and was pretty lean. Some of my BEN Factors were around 1.45 at various frequencies... I only logged from 2050-2800HZ. I plan on getting it to run around stoich before running it on the street.

Post log files.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast