Thread: Used Vehicle with DSP5 switch

Default Used Vehicle with DSP5 switch

Hello everyone,

I purchased a used 01 Duramax 3500 DRW. It has a DSP5 switch. There is a tune on it because the difference from position 1 to position 5 is night and day. I had the switch what I think is position 5, it's not marked, but the truck is an animal in that position. Well, I limped my trans on the interstate going up a hill when i hit WOT. I have no idea what tunes are on this, or for that matter what program it was tuned with. I was wondering since the tune is definitely programmed can I buy the OBD2 to RJ45 cable and use the EFI live scan and tune program? I appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you in advance.

In order to be able to tune it, you would need to buy a V2 with the GM Tuning option.

http://www.efilive.com/flashscan
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Do you know if I can view what tunes are already installed? I was hoping that since someone already paid for the license that's tied to the VIN, that I wouldn't have to purchase an additional license or hardware

DSP5 tunes cannot be read out of the ECM. The only way to get around paying for a new VIN license and hardware is to find who originally tuned it. They are going to charge you for any changes to the tunes though.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

I kind of figured that. My issue is I don't know what tunes are on it and my guess is on 2 of the positions I'm pushing too much power. I will be towing a 15000 lb RV and it would be nice to know if there are lower HP tow tunes programmed. I'm not going to use the higher power selections as I don't want to do expensive trans repairs. At this point I may just go to the dealer and have them reflash the stock tune. I was hoping efi live would have a read only mode for the different tunes so you know what's been done. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Moving thread to Diesel (General)...

Lifetime Member

IIRC you can read out LB7/LLY DSPx tunes...know for a fact you cant on LBZ+ DSPx ones though.

Also you need an EFILive FlashScan V2 or an AutoCal from a tuner to read them, no generic cable is able to be used with EFILive's platform.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.