Thread: Idle Tip.

Default Idle Tip.

I would like to add my experience to the Idle tips and with thanks to those who on the forum helped me.
    My 99 C5, 6 speed with cam change, LT headers had a lumpy 700 to 750 RPM idle. I set the Idle at 910 RPM and was happy until I pushed the clutch in to roll up to a stop. The engine went back to the old rolling Idle.

In Tune, Engine calibrations, Idle,double click on "Desired Idle Speed", there are four columns under Conditions, labeled:
    In-Gear A/C on, In-Gear A/C Off. In P/N A/C On, In P/N A/C Off.
    I had set the idle speed in the two on the left, set the idle speed in all four columns for the engine operating temperature range. I started at 1000 RPM for a cold engine and went to my desired 910 RPM for normal operating temperatures for my 160* TStat. I would set the normal speed 10-20 RPM high in the two right columns for the manual transmission. This worked for me.

Cheers, Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

Hmmm, I would think the P/N column is for auto only. I set the idle on my Z06 using the first two columns and it works fine. It dips for a second when I push the clutch in but idles where I set it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsZ06
    Hmmm, I would think the P/N column is for auto only. I set the idle on my Z06 using the first two columns and it works fine. It dips for a second when I push the clutch in but idles where I set it.
    My drive way is 1 1/2 miles long and over a 700' ridge. I usually come down in neutral to creep around bad spots in the gravel road. Until I made the change in the last two columns, I had the original low idle until I came to a stop. Every time I stopped on the way down the Idle would come back to 910 RPM and as soon as I started to roll, it went back to 700-750 RPM.

Curt
    99C5, mn6, Vortec T trim, Snow meth injection, AFR 205s, ARP studs,Comp 224*112*+2*.580", YellaTerra RRs, PRC Ti's w/dbls, Supermaxx LTs, No Cats, Corsa Indys, LS6Intk, Hurst, Fikse Aro18"s. Pilot Sports 315/30,265/35, 04ZO6 Shocks Hotchkis bars, EBC YellowStuff pads, SS hoses, LM-1, EFILive, 2002 OS. RPS dual disc Clutch, DTE Strut Brace & output shaft.

Good. I'll try that trick tonight...

I can't seem to get my M6 cammed LS1 to idle below 900rpm - I'm not unhappy with it, just curious how low I can get it... it's a lot better than 1050rpm the tuner set it at (even then it wouldn't idle), that's for sure.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by curtbriggs
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsZ06
    My drive way is 1 1/2 miles long and over a 700' ridge. I usually come down in neutral to creep around bad spots in the gravel road. Until I made the change in the last two columns, I had the original low idle until I came to a stop. Every time I stopped on the way down the Idle would come back to 910 RPM and as soon as I started to roll, it went back to 700-750 RPM.

Curt
    Wow, I didn't realize the P/N tables would help. It's a nifty work-around the "Running Idle Airflow" (RAF) table. The P/N table in an M6 must add some air at non-idle.
    You could add a little ( try 0.25-0.50 g/sec? maybe more) airflow at the operating ECT in the RAF table. This would be the conventional method.

Joel, did you get my PM Friday?

Curt

Wow, I didn't realize the P/N tables would help. It's a nifty work-around the "Running Idle Airflow" (RAF) table. The P/N table in an M6 must add some air at non-idle.
    You could add a little ( try 0.25-0.50 g/sec? maybe more) airflow at the operating ECT in the RAF table. This would be the conventional method.[/quote]

Lifetime Member

Curt
    No. Here?

joel

[quote="bink"]

Curt
    No. Here?

Yes, I went to your profile and sent two. Must not work.
    curtbriggs@direcway.com Try me direct.

Curt

Lifetime Member

[quote="curtbriggs"]
    Quote Originally Posted by bink

Curt
    No. Here?

Yes, I went to your profile and sent two. Must not work.
    curtbriggs@direcway.com Try me direct.

Curt
    I just tested it. Working now.
    Was it down Friday?

joel