Thread: 2001 LB7 Error: $0537

Default 2001 LB7 Error: $0537

I'm trying to read the stock tune from the pcm. The trucks history is unknown. The radio is stock. Pulled the radio fuses. One thing to note is that the under hood fuse box diagram on the lid and in the owners manual dose not match the locations of the fuses and relays. Tried unchecking high speed and checking try alt keys. No luck. Looked thru the forum just looking for some up to date insight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lb7fail.png 
Views:	548 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	18318
    EFILive Beta Tester

2006 DODGE RAM 2500 4X4 Industrial Injection R1 100HP Injectors and BAG-O-PARTS, ATS Exhaust Manifold, AFE 67MM Turbo and MANIFOLD

Lifetime Member

From the error code list contained within your V8 software installation, $0537 is the controller is locked with a custom key.

Controller is locked with a custom key.

An attempt was made to read or program a controller that cannot be unlocked using the standard GM keys.

If you know the key that was used to lock the controller, please use the unlock option in the EFILive software to unlock the controller before attempting to read or re-flash the controller again.

Cheers
    Cindy

I have no idea what the lock could be. This is my first time dealing with this truck.
    EFILive Beta Tester

2006 DODGE RAM 2500 4X4 Industrial Injection R1 100HP Injectors and BAG-O-PARTS, ATS Exhaust Manifold, AFE 67MM Turbo and MANIFOLD

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

From the screen shot it looks like the seed and key (which are used to lock the controller) are probably corrupt. Its sort of like of someone changed the tumblers inside a door lock it would mean the original key would no longer work and the door would appear to be locked "with some other custom key". They seed and key are stored in the same NVRAM area as the Serial, VIN and BCC which also show up corrupted.

Try using the latest V8 software (and updated FlashScan firmware) available to read the controller and check the "Try Alt Keys" and "Assume Lock May Be Faulty" check boxes in the read window before starting the read attempt.

Latest software here:
    http://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/download-efilive

P.S. Once the LB7 NVRAM area gets corrupted they are pretty much impossible to recover by reflashing through the OBDII port. Usually it requires the removal and reprogramming of the flash chip using an external chip programmer.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

I just finished an 01 having the same problems with unlocking the Controller. With this particular truck, if the E-brake was on, it would not allow the V2 to unlock the ECM (Same $0537). I could not read the ECM with the V2 in BBX, I had to use V8, I was able to flash BBX and Pass thru with V8 once I narrowed it down to the E-Brake (most likely an upset ABS controller not shutting off). One other thing, I tried doing a quick update Via cal flash, had the radio on (not thinking) and it did the same thing $0537. The one thing I did not have was the corrupt looking VIN number.

Hope this Helps and good luck with the truck, 01-05 can be a PIA some times.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by 30 RUM View Post
    I just finished an 01 having the same problems with unlocking the Controller. With this particular truck, if the E-brake was on, it would not allow the V2 to unlock the ECM (Same $0537). I could not read the ECM with the V2 in BBX, I had to use V8, I was able to flash BBX and Pass thru with V8 once I narrowed it down to the E-Brake (most likely an upset ABS controller not shutting off).
    parking brake switch has absolutely nothing to do with the ABS module. Park brake switch goes to the BCM, and then the BCM sends a data message to the cluster to tell it to turn the parking brake light on.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 RUM View Post
    One other thing, I tried doing a quick update Via cal flash, had the radio on (not thinking) and it did the same thing $0537.
    Radio does NOT communicate on the databus on 2002 and older trucks...so its impossible for the radio being on/off/whatever to have any effect on the read/flash process. Unless I guess if the truck has massive aftermarket subwoofers and you had the radio cranked while reading/flashing...and the voltage dips disrupted the flash.

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Not to argue with you:

With the parking brake on, truck in park on level ground the ABS Light would flash (not sure why). Leading me to believe the ABS module is causing trouble on the BUS not shutting down.

With the stock radio on (volume low no aftermarket amps) the ecm would not unlock, after going thru the complete unlock process then getting the $0537 code, shutting the controller down for 20 seconds. Turn the key back to run, (radio off) controller flashed no problems. One strange thing is that the radio time resets to 1:00 after a full flash.

I have had one truck (01-05 can't remember the exact year) not unlock the controller with having an overhead counsel map light on. Maybe the problem is with some of the trucks the BCM is not shutting down properly.
    Last edited by 30 RUM; April 30th, 2015 at 01:31 AM.

I gave up trying to read this pcm. Trying everything from this post so I ripped the pcm and shipped it to SoCal.
    EFILive Beta Tester