Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS1 tune - MAFT and COS questions

Default LS1 tune - MAFT and COS questions

Hello fellows,

I'm currently tuning my first LS1 engined car. Its this one-tonner ute:

The car has been tuned before and Ive checked the tune. Its knocking a bit but doing good power on the dyno ... around 340hp with extractors.

So this car will get a 427 engine, forged, cam, ls3 heads, ported and ITBs. Engine is pretty much ready, waiting to bolt the head and ITBs.

My plan for this car is do a MAFT procedure with MAF plugged, then go SD, then go COS5 then replace stock engine with sick one and final tune.

I'm having issues with the MAFT...I've copied the calc pid to the correct location but can't find the PIDs on the scan tool. What have I done wrong?
    I only have the dyno WBO2 so I thought about using LTFT on part load (MAFT) and then tune the PE independently with the dyno WB. Is this possible? Do I need to change the calc PIDs?

About the COS upgrade, my OS is 9381344 which is not upgradable to COS5. I believe I have to get the 12212156 (from tune website) and then I can go COS5 and copy the tables and tune it. Is this correct?

Kind regards and greatly appreciated for your help.
    Paulo

Hi Paulo,

Quote Originally Posted by RPE-tuning View Post
    I'm having issues with the MAFT...I've copied the calc pid to the correct location but can't find the PIDs on the scan tool. What have I done wrong?
    I only have the dyno WBO2 so I thought about using LTFT on part load (MAFT) and then tune the PE independently with the dyno WB. Is this possible? Do I need to change the calc PIDs?
    The Calc.MAFT procedure's calculation of the MAF table can only be done if the pid GM.VETABLE_DMA is supported by the OS... 12212156 does support it, but 9381344 does not.

For dyno tuning, I would tailor the Calc.MAFT/Calc.VET procedures to use wideband only (i.e. use wideband-only to correct VE table and calculate a new MAF from it)(i.e. this then becomes much like AutoVE but with better BEN pid), this is done by editing the calc_pids.txt file (I can show you how).

About the COS upgrade, my OS is 9381344 which is not upgradable to COS5. I believe I have to get the 12212156 (from tune website) and then I can go COS5 and copy the tables and tune it. Is this correct?
    Yes, correct, if the PCM supports 12212156 (i.e. 0411 PCM, 512KB).

www.tunefiledepot.com 2002 Camaro 5.7L (choose automatic or manual to match the transmission in your 1T ute).

Thanks, as always you r the MAN!

So my ECU doesn't have GM.VETABLE_DMA but I think I can still go SD and tune the VE table correct? Or maybe go straight to 12212156 and then do MAFT and correct MAF as well.

The issue is I don't have an analog output to connect to the Flashscan. I was thinking I could use LTFT (NBO2) for most of the fuel map and get my corrections from there and then just use the dyno wideband and manually change the high load/ PE maps...how does that sound?

My biggest problem now is that I am looking for the PIDs on the default metric group and I can't find most of them...am I looking in the wrong place?

Regards,
    Paulo

OS 9381344 does not have the pid GM.VETABLE_DMA (if you try logging it, it won't log).

You could copy the tables that are different from your 9381344 file to a 12212156 file... you have to go thru all the tables (it's tedious, but with 12212156 you get more tables, and you get an easy jumping point to COS5.

Your wideband doesn't have a output that you could feed into your V2...? For dyno tuning you really need a wideband (for the WOT pulls).

On the PIDs tab uncheck Supported, then connect to PCM and do Info->Validate Pids.

So this car will get a 427 engine, forged, cam, ls3 heads, ported and ITBs. Engine is pretty much ready, waiting to bolt the head and ITBs.

My plan for this car is do a MAFT procedure with MAF plugged, then go SD, then go COS5 then replace stock engine with sick one and final tune.
    What's the point in all the tuning before the new motor goes in? It will all be lost on the new motor.

Thats a really unusual OS to be running for that vehicle. The one tonner must be at least a VY, but that OS is back from VT series.
    Upgrade it to 12225074 and then to COS. Thats the factory OS of all LS1 in VX-VY. You'l readily find facroty tunes to start form on tunefiledepot.

Why not just dial the whole lot in on the dyno with wideband?

I think he's trying to practice.

Default Log and questions

Thanks both of you. Managed to select all the PIDs now (thx joecar for the tip). One weird thing was that I managed to log the GM.VETABLE_DMA Pid.

I attached the log file - Log_Hugh Robinson_BEN Dyno1.efi . Hopefully you may have a look and see if I am correct?

I did not disable the MAF so thats probably why I'm not logging MAFT...

I am going to full flash the 12225074 stock LS1 file like darcy suggested and tune it using the MAFT procedure.

Thanks again
    Paulo

Open your log file and tune file side-by-side, and check that GM.VETABLE_DMA shows values from your B0101 VE table (use pid linking from scantool to tunetool).

Hey joecar,

Sorry to take so long. I have tested it and I can see the cells moving and they have the same value as the datalog (approximate). the value is not exactly the same but I believe that may be cause by the interpolation GM.

Apparantly GM.VETABLE_DMA Pid is available on this OS. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Paulo

Hey joecar,

Sorry to take so long. I have tested it and I can see the cells moving and they have the same value as the datalog (approximate). the value is not exactly the same but I believe that may be cause by the interpolation GM.

Apparantly GM.VETABLE_DMA Pid is available on this OS. Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Paulo
    No worries (take your time).

Interpolation (between cells) and/or discretization error (binary representation) will cause values to be off by a small amount... post log/tune files.

If this pid is available on this OS (I don't know all which OS's it has been implemented for) then it make things simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast