Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant get 100% Throttle -Tuning E78 ECM 2011 GMC 2500 6.0 HD Truck L96 VVT non AFM

Which operating system and ECM is the truck your tuning now that will not hold throttle @100% vs the ones that did?

Looking at my last log file it does make me wonder why commanded is still 84% throttle at 5000-6000 RPM when my manifold is showing 94kPa indicating it has not reached its peak flow. Checking the logs over again my 97 kPa was around 4200 RPM. The SAE TPS PID from what I can tell is also scaled so 84% is actually the maximum we will see on the scanners due to the 1-5v range and full open is not quite a full 5v. From what I can tell thus far it appears that if the blade is full open at say 4.2 volts then we will see 4.2v as a % of 5v. 5v being 100%

I am going out to test something I think the PID we want to use is GM.ETCTP which appears to be the actual indicated throttle position,.

Mine is an E78 ECM with the 6.0/6L90 in a 2500 HD 2whl drive.

-Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GM Throttle positions.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	18461  
    Last edited by 496Stingray; May 31st, 2015 at 03:22 AM.

Yes sir any truck gen 4 like the E38 ecm variety and newer the standard SAE tps % PID will only read a max of 84%. For any newer body style truck 07 and up I log ETC position and on the 2014-2015 trucks also been logging pedal position so I can compare the two.

Yes GM.ETCTP would be the correct PID to use!
    Last edited by KLUG'S SS; May 31st, 2015 at 06:47 AM.

So the 84% you are seeing with this particular truck is on that PID?

Yes with the ETC PID throttle drops down to even 80% at times. But after reading what GMPX stated about how these goofy torque based operating systems work I went back over several logs and carefully thoroughly studied them and it looks like whether it was 100% throttle or 80% airflow did not drop off. Checked this through several logs I have of this truck at many different rpm points so it obviously isn't having a negative affect. MAP, g/cyl and dynamic airflow all stay the same comparing when the truck is seeing 100% throttle or even 20% less.

Looks like that's just the strategy that GM chose to use here. Which hey the truck runs very strong just for that 4.3 V6 in a 4wd double cab full size truck!

I was once told the strategy is to only open the throttle (assuming the pedal is fully down) to the highest position to consider the engine to be at full load if that is what the driver wants. It benefits in a few ways (from GM perspective), less intake noise and if the throttle needs to be closed (eg traction control) it is not required to move back as far to limit power. There is probably a lot of other reasons for this idea, but those two make sense to me. On the boosted engines (eg, the turbo Cruze with the E78) you don't see this effect, the throttle will go to max opening as they are trying to achieve 100+ kPa readings.

From your logs...
    84% throttle at 5000-6000 RPM when my manifold is showing 94kPa indicating it has not reached its peak flow.
    Again that annoying scaling of the PID, think of 84% as fully open if using the SAE PID, you are seeing 94 kPa that is because the engine is not at its peak here, it is not a throttle restriction.

Checking the logs over again my 97 kPa was around 4200 RPM.
    So as an example, if the engine was able to achieve 97 kPa with 70% throttle at 4,200 RPM, that is all you will see it get opened too, no more, the ECM won't open it any more than it needs to.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks a bunch for the explanation and info GMPX, appreciate it sir. Now I've got one other thought though..... Obviously guys are already boosting the new trucks and the handful that I've done to this point have all been naturally aspirated so what happens with this whole throttle business with the truck operating systems once of course they start going well over 100 kpa when throwing boost at them?

I don't know, I would imagine there is issues with this.
    It also comes back to the Torque Model tables, but as they are just coefficients it is hard to put numbers in there with any clue as to what effect it will have. I remember putting the Torque Model tables from a 2.0L Turbo in to a 3.0L N/A V6 I had years ago and although the car drove terrible any time I went full throttle it opened the blade and kept it open all the way unlike what it would do with the N/A tables.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I do know and have somewhat of an understanding of the driver demand tables and the peak torque tables and how those work. These tables can definitely be limiting factors once the horsepower and torque goes well above factory levels. But their must be care taken when and how to adjust for example the driver demand tables. This isn't a table that can just be maxed out, basically just the very last row representing 100% only needs to be changed so that their is just a slight cushion. Needs to accurately represent the power the truck is expected to make. Same goes for the peak torque table.

Like I said I haven't tuned any 2014-2015 trucks with say a Magnacharger installed but I've heard in regards to the peak torque table maxing it out can actually prevent the motor from going into power enrichment. On the other hand if the torque exceeds what is in the table then it can limit throttle.

Ok so logging the correct PID solved my issue. Mine is commanding 100% whenever I want and will hold it. The SAE PID is the one reading 84%

Does it feel faster now you know it is at 100% and not 84%

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast