Thread: First try at tuning

Default First try at tuning

Ok so I have read about every page in this board, downloaded every program that's been shared and looked at the differences between them all. I have tunes coming from a tuner but would like to make something of my own to ride around on until I get them. Also want to learn so I can make changes as I upgrade things on my truck.
    So far I have changed things like tire size, over boost rpm, fuel level, stuff like that just to make my stock tune a good base. With everything I looked at I still don't know what I want to try and change first. Thinking about bumping up the timing table first as the stock table has alot of negatives in it. Then maybe play with the duration table just a bit at the time. Looks like most work on the bottom left side of that table and leave the top right as is? Not quite sure what blocks will make a difference there and how much to change by yet. Just wondering if I'm on the right track and if this is a good place to start.
    Would like to be able to just ride around a few hours and make changes to see what happens and learn how to log also as I haven't done any of that yet. Any other suggestions?

This is the process I like to follow personally, if I'm wrong on anything let me know please.

1. Make dam sure your Vin is correct.
    2. Fuel pressure, I smooth it out leaving idle cells about the same and I don't exceed the stock max.
    3. Main injection, to start off leave everything stock except the bottom right corner. There you can add some fuel but I usually add up to 35% I think I'm playing it safe by doing that.
    4. Main timing, Increase the bottom right corner as that's where your power will be made. The rest of it is unclear to me. It seems like too much low end timing leads to smoke. I also leave idle cells about stock.

But with that you should really data log first to see where your truck runs. Then you can see where you need to modify.

Thanks, I guess that makes since that I can view the log and see what cells are being used and then know what to change.

Read this book if you want to get to understand tuning more.

http://www.starlitediesel.com/EFILiv...raining_c6.htm
    2006 Cummins Red, Auto to Nv5600, SBC 3600, Traction Bars, Visor, Running Lights, S&B Intake, ATS intake horn, EFI Live, Borg Warner S363 Turbo, Industrial Injection Dragon Fly Injectors.