View Poll Results: Would you buy a car that can't be tuned?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, I'll buy another make instead.

44 100.00%
  • Yes, because 100% stock is good enough for me.

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GM owns your cars software, don't fiddle!

Given the nature of software, I don't believe the OEM can prevent mishaps by locking down the software...

the OEM does have ulterior motives (possibly influenced by by EPA/CARB requirements/mandates);

locking out hotrodding/hacking efforts is of no consequence... if something is not right then the "software" won't work with the rest of the vehicle (due to both the complexity or the software, and the sanity-interlocks designed into it)... in fact the OEM's own software bugs will continue to be the OEM's worst enemy, not someone hacking the CAN/modules for the purpose running modified mechanical parts.
    Last edited by joecar; May 30th, 2015 at 07:32 AM.

Going to be a very debatable topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    well with holden dropping out of local v8 options soon, the Hyundai range could be the next best thing? but I think they run mostly bosch type ecu's.
    New career before resorting to that
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    New career before resorting to that

come on now, they at least have a 5lt v8 and a couple of turbo 4 banger motors. I must admit they have knocked up the quality of sports cars in the last few years.

313kw 5lt aint shabby.
    http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...5-review-46176

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    come on now, they at least have a 5lt v8 and a couple of turbo 4 banger motors. I must admit they have knocked up the quality of sports cars in the last few years.

313kw 5lt aint shabby.
    http://www.motoring.com.au/reviews/2...5-review-46176
    I think it was more to do with the Bosch ECU.... das is nict gut..

I know they are trying and are much better than the old Excel with nail polish paint colours, but high US $50K probably translates to nearly double over here, I doubt anyone will pay $100K for a Hyundai.
    They are a nice looking car though, I mistake them for an XF Jaguar when I see them.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

That is pretty much impossible without knowing the intricacies of the hardware (which of course isn't available) and you probably couldn't legally copy the CAN messages to make it work in a GM car, so if it came to that then we will just not buy GM vehicles any more and all take jobs working in a beach side bar in Sint Maarten.
    That sucks. Goodbye GM, I certainly won't buy another one.
    Now that beach side bar idea sounds good, pull up a stool, get a pitcher full with mugs and warm up the dart board.

Or a standalone controller like Fast. We don't need no stinking CAN bus.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    Or a standalone controller like Fast. We don't need no stinking CAN bus.
    Unfortunately if you want every other module in the car to work then you do need the ECM telling them what is going on. Like modern radios in cars, you are stuck with what they offer because the screen used for the radio also has climate control, sat nav etc, pull that out for something else and half the cars functions are gone.

Unfortunately if you want every other module in the car to work then you do need the ECM telling them what is going on. Like modern radios in cars, you are stuck with what they offer because the screen used for the radio also has climate control, sat nav etc, pull that out for something else and half the cars functions are gone.
    A friend had a piggyback controller on his diesel truck, he just unplugged the the PCM and plugged in the piggyback unit into the PCM, then the piggyback controller took over operations from the PCM. PCM never knew it wasn't controlling the truck, all other functions worked fine.

They do that a lot with motorcycles too, you unplug the injectors and use a piggyback controller to adjust the pulse width modulation to obtain rich/lean mixture, ECU never knows.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Don't forget about the reduced engine power that Gm implemented on the Z06 stingray to meet EPA. GM openly admitted that owners would have to use aftermarket programming to eliminate the reduce power!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast