View Poll Results: Would you buy a car that can't be tuned?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, I'll buy another make instead.

44 100.00%
  • Yes, because 100% stock is good enough for me.

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GM owns your cars software, don't fiddle!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    A friend had a piggyback controller on his diesel truck, he just unplugged the the PCM and plugged in the piggyback unit into the PCM, then the piggyback controller took over operations from the PCM. PCM never knew it wasn't controlling the truck, all other functions worked fine.

They do that a lot with motorcycles too, you unplug the injectors and use a piggyback controller to adjust the pulse width modulation to obtain rich/lean mixture, ECU never knows.
    Current and future ECM designs can/will be fast enough and smart enough to detect the presence of such boxes...at its simplest, the ECM could simply calculate the acceleration rate and if the truck is accelerating too quickly to be plausible (IE, the engine is making over stock horsepower), it will know something is up.

Harness/piggyback controllers are not the answer, unfortunately.

Ben
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

I once knew a guy at John Deere, he worked on the diagnostics side of the ECM and one of their projects was working on code to detect sensor fooling boxes yet be able to monitor normal and abnormal real sensor operation.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Current and future ECM designs can/will be fast enough and smart enough to detect the presence of such boxes...at its simplest, the ECM could simply calculate the acceleration rate and if the truck is accelerating too quickly to be plausible (IE, the engine is making over stock horsepower), it will know something is up.

Harness/piggyback controllers are not the answer, unfortunately.

Ben
    That's a lot of trouble to go to to stop someone from altering their vehicle. Once the warranty period is gone it is the owners responsibility to preform repairs it would be hard to sell the point that one could not do repairs to their own vehicle. I suppose repair parts will be car maker compliant to not detract/add to the system and work with the system kind like a plug-and-play for computers?
    I have to ask ole wise one, what is then? Enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    I once knew a guy at John Deere, he worked on the diagnostics side of the ECM and one of their projects was working on code to detect sensor fooling boxes yet be able to monitor normal and abnormal real sensor operation.
    That would take a lot of processing power to monitor all the data would it not? Do you know if he was successful or not?
    I am just throwing out possible solutions to the dilemma.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy366 View Post
    That would take a lot of processing power to monitor all the data would it not? Do you know if he was successful or not?
    I am just throwing out possible solutions to the dilemma.
    I don't know, it was at least 8 years ago that I last spoke to them, I would say so because these days processing power is not an issue with the modern CPU's they are using, particularly on big Diesels where they aren't turning big RPM's so the ECM has a lot of time to do things between injection events.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

I am with you Ross.

It is one of the main reasons I really do not care for any German car.... I've seen "their software" and its really REALLY SERIOUSLY Crude.
    "All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing..."

Years ago there was talk in the US of only dealers being able to even open the hood of your car. There were petition sheets at almost every parts store and the bill was shot down. Don't think GM and the rest of them wouldn't love that. You think dealerships are priced high now? Just wait until something like this goes into effect.

Quote Originally Posted by greasess View Post
    Years ago there was talk in the US of only dealers being able to even open the hood of your car. There were petition sheets at almost every parts store and the bill was shot down. Don't think GM and the rest of them wouldn't love that. You think dealerships are priced high now? Just wait until something like this goes into effect.
    Why would "GM love that"?

DOES EVERYONE NOT REALIZE THAT ALL CAR DEALERS ARE INDEPENDENTLY OWNED AND OPERATED FRANCHISES!?!?!!??!

Im gonna bang my head against a wall if I have to explain that one more time. People associating dealers' profits' on repairs and maintenance with "LINING GM's POCKET!!"...or if I hear one more person say "OMG GM IS OUT TO ROB EVERYONE WITH $100/hr SHOP RATES!!!!"
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Put your flames out. Either way it would cost us more money in the end.

GM would love it if dealer repairs only. Why would GM love that you couldn't modify your car/truck? Do you think GM likes you to be able to tune your truck? Warranty repairs!

Man GM would suck every penny you have and not give one rats butt about it, yet you defend GM, weird.
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Yes, GM will suck as much money as they could, directly or indirectly, regardless of dealer franchises, and prohibiting DIY helps GM's agenda.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast