Thread: Need advice getting LQ4 with LS3 top end running- cranks and fires, will not START

Default Need advice getting LQ4 with LS3 top end running- cranks and fires, will not START

Hi guys!

I haven't posted before, cheers fellow hotrodders! I have been reading this forum off an on for a couple years now in preparation for my build. Awesome website! I'm in MN, planning to go to PowerCruise and "Street Machine Summer Nationals" - once Carcraft.

Where I am at right now- trying to get the right balance in the tune to get the dang thing even started so I can begin tuning.

I am very familiar engine theory and operation, however I am new to EFI live. I am genuinely looking for help as I have been in the garage for 20 hours now trying different things to get my car 'running' enough to read the wideband and start tuning steady state. I did read one of Greg Banish's books 3X over, a lot of it was not new information to me, however I did find it helpful.

Here is what I have:
    1990 Corvette- never driven it, bought it as a roller
    2003 LQ4, rebuilt stock displacement -complete LS3 top end (heads, intake, rail, injectors and DBW TB) Pac 918 spings..
    I have a converstion box from Torque Rush wired between my TAC module and the E.T.B. http://torquerush.com/index.html, the throttle moves smoothly through the full range, and I show a measured throttle percentage up to 100 when using the EFILive Scan tool.
    I also have the latest rev of EFI Live V7.5 using V1.2 adaptor
    Comp Cams 54-426-11 XFI RPM 222/224 566"/.568"
    60PSI FPR, Walbro 255 LPH
    Tri- wye headers, dual 3" exhaust w/ mufflers

The ECM, harness, TAC module and pedal are all from a 2005 pickup- Green and blue ECM originally OS 12597120. Serv # 12602802 on ECM

- Everything required in the project was rebuilt/wired/installed/fabricated by me, it has been a long road since January but very theraputic and fun. My background- I was an automotive Benz tech for 6 years, now an application engineer for Ziegler selling Industrial Cat engines.

The only fault codes I have are rear o2's and evap - I will tune these out soon. The engine will fire for about a second roughly and die, putting the accelerator down for clear flood mode doesn't seem to help, feathering the throttle does not help. I've experienced vehicles in the past that have a Vats similar problem, this doesn't seem to, however I'm not ruling it out 100%. The ECM activates my FP relay and the fuel pump primes and runs when cranking.

I started by modifying the stock tune with ls3 injector info, then after the engine wouldn't start after trying different things, and different tune tweaks, I realized there wasn't a decent way to convert from auto to manual trans, so I did a full OS flash to a 2006 4.8L truck with manual trans as I found suggested somewhere here on EFI live forum. OS is now 12606807- then I've gone through a rash of small tune tweaks slowly, trying to start the car each time with not MUCH change, but some.

I found Joecar's very helpful LS3 to LS1 injector sheets to put in my LS1B PCM. Joe, you are the man, incredibly helpful to everyone on this site that I've seen so far.

Here is my first tune and OS, unchanged except for injector flows and gear ratio as a test for flashing:
    Stock tune with 3.73 gears, injector information, basic tuning start 1 0000_0000.ctz

The original 2006 4.8 M/T truck tune:
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado Truck Manual LR4 4.8 Litre (12606807).ctz

My latest iteration of a tune after pulling my hair out and slowly changing table by table based on other tunes I've collected online.
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado Truck Manual LR4 4_0003 with base ls1 ve table efi live added SU air MO.ctz

I also downloaded this helpful tune and pasted over first the VE tables, then the spark tables, then desired airflow tables... Trying to start the car between each trial.

"base tune for less than 6* overlap" - Thank you for this tune, and I have 2* overlap for the record
    https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...eginners-Tunes

Here is my history log on the current tune:
    tune history.txt

I swear I must be missing something, can anyone help me out? I'm not giving up yet, I'll keep working and update if I get anywhere.

Thanks to everyone reading this.

- Rollie
    1990 C4, LS3 top end w/ injectors, LQ4 engine w/ smaller Comp Cam, home built headers, T56, Dana 44 3.73's - Swap project started January 2015.

Post some log files trying to start engine...

JOE!!!

I got it started up, it does not have a VATS hard wired to the ECM normally, however I wrote off any type of theft system. A friend came and over, we talked about and reviewed the theft area of the tune, turned off the 'class II serial data'. I switched it off, it lit off like a top instantly.

I've never heard the engine run, never had a running engine in the car... I am absolutely pumped, it actually runs very well at first glance. I am wiring my wideband in right now.

Thank you for chimming in so quickly, you truly are a heck of a guy.

If it would be valid to keep the thread going, I might post an updated tune on here once I get things honed in.

Thanks Joe!
    1990 C4, LS3 top end w/ injectors, LQ4 engine w/ smaller Comp Cam, home built headers, T56, Dana 44 3.73's - Swap project started January 2015.

haha, good job

thanks for the kind words.

yes, please do keep us posted.

I drove the car for the first time yesterday!!! I got too excited to put the hood on it, I just had to go.

It was AWESOME. I love the 3.73's and the trans shifts beautifully.

I have a lot to figure out regarding setting up the auto VE log and tune using the scan tool. It dies when returning to idle, but I'll look at that further once I get the VE tables dialed in.

I will be as self sufficient as possible, just wanted to update. Thanks guys!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7986.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	664.4 KB 
ID:	18503

Alright,

After 4 days I have been able to get my tach working, the "N" selection value in EFI live should be 3 and I needed to wire a 12v wire with 680ohm resistor to pull up the signal. The NGK wideband controller is wired up to the V1.2 adaptor via the #1 analong input. I can read the actual analog input 1 voltage in the dashboard of flashscan (EXT.AD1), it matches what I am measuring with my multimeter at the WBO2 analog out.

I am getting pretty discouraged trying to get the calc_pids.txt file edited correctly so that my new AFR wideband PID shows up on the PID selection page (F8).

I have been reading many posts on this topic, I have edited my calc_pid file multiple times, cycled the key, shut-down the flash scan, re-started and re-connected to the vehicle, and then selected the 'info' tab and 'validate PIDS' a few times.

I've scrolled up and down the PID page (F8) and don't see my new pid anywhere.

Could someone please take a quick look at this to see if I made an error somewhere?

calc_pids.txt

Also, which one of these is best to follow? The top one seems like a newer rev. however it omits the spark tuning section that the latter one has by logging "KR".
    http://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf

http://home.insightbb.com/~black02ss/AutoTune.pdf

Thank you guys!

-Rollie