Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to EFI

Default New to EFI

So I've made the leap to EFI from a Banks 6gun...I know, I know. I picked up a used V2 with a single license remaining.

I'll be keeping the Banks on the truck just for gauges.

I've done some reading in the forum, and will be doing more. I want to tune my truck for best daily driving mileage and performance, so I'm expecting to need to log my daily commute for a few days and see what I'm working with.

One of the main things I'd like to do is to turn off the 3rd injection event and also tune down the Exergy 30% injectors I installed in January. I've seen roughly a 2-3 mpg decrease with them. I have a flow sheet for them. Should I tune them off the flow sheet or can I just carve 30% out of the duration and then fine tune it from there?

Also, I've read the Cummins tutorials that are on CF and here, is there any other source of reading or education on the basics of tuning?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    2006 MegaCab 4x4 Goerend 48re, 37s on a KORE race suspension. Exergy 30% injectors, Banks intake, intercooler, air horn and exhaust. New to EFI and tuning for optimized daily driving and mileage.

get the starlight diesel book. Gonna cost you a good couple bucks but its well worth the money.
    2006 Cummins Red, Auto to Nv5600, SBC 3600, Traction Bars, Visor, Running Lights, S&B Intake, ATS intake horn, EFI Live, Borg Warner S363 Turbo, Industrial Injection Dragon Fly Injectors.

Lifetime Member

Are your exergy injectors factory spray angle or 143* pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by SASDakota View Post
    Are your exergy injectors factory spray angle or 143* pattern?
    They're the correct angle for the pistons, 128* I believe it is. I'm really not that impressed with them. They haze at idle.

Is the Starlite book useful as a standalone volume? I got the feeling that without attending their class, it wouldn't be much help.
    2006 MegaCab 4x4 Goerend 48re, 37s on a KORE race suspension. Exergy 30% injectors, Banks intake, intercooler, air horn and exhaust. New to EFI and tuning for optimized daily driving and mileage.

Lifetime Member

Post your stock file you read out.

Quote Originally Posted by ManVan View Post
    They're the correct angle for the pistons, 128* I believe it is. I'm really not that impressed with them. They haze at idle.

Is the Starlite book useful as a standalone volume? I got the feeling that without attending their class, it wouldn't be much help.
    I doubt the 6 Gun is tuned for larger injectors so the hazing at idle is most likely a result of your tuning, not the injectors. That is the benefit of EFILive, you can adjust your tune as your add hard parts.
    Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
    Hamilton 110# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD

Quote Originally Posted by ManVan View Post
    So I've made the leap to EFI from a Banks 6gun...I know, I know. I picked up a used V2 with a single license remaining.

I'll be keeping the Banks on the truck just for gauges.

I've done some reading in the forum, and will be doing more. I want to tune my truck for best daily driving mileage and performance, so I'm expecting to need to log my daily commute for a few days and see what I'm working with.

One of the main things I'd like to do is to turn off the 3rd injection event and also tune down the Exergy 30% injectors I installed in January. I've seen roughly a 2-3 mpg decrease with them. I have a flow sheet for them. Should I tune them off the flow sheet or can I just carve 30% out of the duration and then fine tune it from there?

Also, I've read the Cummins tutorials that are on CF and here, is there any other source of reading or education on the basics of tuning?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Put a stock pulse table back in...and adjust the main timning to bring the smoke down. For idle haze, you may bump the rail up to 7000 and drop idle timing.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    2014 Ram 3500 Aisin tuning Emissions Equipped
    EFI Live Cummins BETA Tester
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    silverbullettuning@gmail.com
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt
    http://www.facebook.com/SilverBulletTuninig

And keep in mind that SAC nozzles are dirtier by nature....so there will be some amount of haze you'll never get rid of because of the nozzle design.
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt

Quote Originally Posted by 2007 5.9 View Post
    And keep in mind that SAC nozzles are dirtier by nature....so there will be some amount of haze you'll never get rid of because of the nozzle design.
    Les, they're stock injectors honed 30% over...Not BMS injectors...so they shouldn't have a SAC nozzle, right?

Thanks for a point in the right direction on the tuning...

and yes, I'm sure the 6gun isn't anywhere near right for them.

Is there value to having the flow sheet? Will it allow me to tune the injectors more quickly?

So Exergy took your stock nozzles and honed them 30% over?
    Les Szmidt
    2007 5.9 Dodge Ram
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    www.youtube.com/ljszmidt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast