Thread: Changing DSP5 tune to match stock VIN

Default Changing DSP5 tune to match stock VIN

OK, had EFI for years, pretty darn happy with and have the DSP5 with IRob tuning. (2006 LBZ) Have all but the latest firmware loaded.

Where I live they now read the PCM when doing an emissions check. However since I have the DSP5 tune it does not show the correct vin so it will not read into the system. Upon flashing all to stock, it passed fine.

My #1 tune is stock but can change the vin# on the PCM to read the same as the stock tune while keeping my DSP5 tune?

I did do a search but I didn't find anything or searched wrong. Any help would be great!!

The OS number is altered when a DSP5 is flashed in, so even though you have a "stock" set of tables in your DSP5 tune the OS is a different number when it is a DSP5 conversion.

Probably just flash back to stock when you need a test for emissions
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Lifetime Member

First off, do you have a FlashScan or an AutoCal? If you have a FlashScan, we can guide you through changing the VIN. With an AutoCal, we can try but I dont know if we can do it.

Easiest plan would be to flash back to stock tune (that contains the correct VIN) or have your tuner (IdahoRob) create a new tune that has your correct VIN.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

The VIN does not change with a DSP5 flash the OS Number changes
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

If the VIN didn't match it would not start. It has to communicate with other modules like the bcm and security would prevent it from starting. Like Tony said the VIN is correct in your DSP tune but the OS changes. Emission guys wouldn't know what it is unless they knew how EFI live worked .

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    The VIN does not change with a DSP5 flash the OS Number changes
    True, now that you mention this even flashing in a tune with the wrong VIN wont change it (think some Cummins are different)...

Quote Originally Posted by S Phinney View Post
    If the VIN didn't match it would not start. It has to communicate with other modules like the bcm and security would prevent it from starting. Like Tony said the VIN is correct in your DSP tune but the OS changes. Emission guys wouldn't know what it is unless they knew how EFI live worked .
    Maybe the LBZ ECM is different, but the gas ECMs will start just fine if the VIN is wrong. I've tested it on my own vehicles. The OP asked about the VIN changing, not the OS #.

OP, appears the only plan is to flash back to a tune with the stock OS since they're checking the OS #.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Pretty sure none of GM's security systems are based off the VIN.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I has a problem with a 01 lb7. Now it could have been that the customer tried a different ecm and a serial number mismatch caused it and not the Vin but it happened. I put the original back in it and did a relearn on the vats and all was good.

2001 LB7 ECM's are very, very temperamental.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.