Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some help on cam/headers tune LM7 5.3L (mostly spark)

BTW, here was the results from the dyno. Again, it's a 2002 5.3L, Texas Speed 220R 220/220 .581 lift 112LSA camshaft, American Racing stainless longtube headers with high-flow cats, and 3in dual cat-back with 2x Flowmaster Super 40's, Outlaw Racing cold air cleaner / intake setup, 30ish thousand miles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno chart1.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	18602

Lifetime Member

The AFR's on that dyno sheet don't look very good.

On NBO2 only (i.e. no wideband) you can't easy correct during OL (non-stoich) conditions.

Hmm...statesman,

The red line was the last pass. Is that still too lean? What should my AFR's be looking like? I know they need to be richer, but should they flat across the power band or should it vary, i.e. rich, but a richer toward peak tq, and a bit leaner towards peak hp?

Joecar, not sure what you mean there exactly. I know he needs to get the wideband back in there, but is there a way to do calc.vet correctly with only one NBO2? Otherwise, pretty much waiting he can get a third pre-cat bung installed, right?

So basically where I am at is this: The whole time I was tuning the truck, using calc.vet, there was one narrowband (on bank 1 I think) and there was the wideband where the other NB should be. I was thinking both NB's were still installed in addition to the WB. I did calc.vet and it spit out the values for the VE table, but only 0's for MAF correction. I don't fully understand how it works, but obviously calc.vet looks at both bank 1 and bank 2 NB's.

Is there a way to fix this using old logs using data from the one NB that was there? i.e. is there a way to fix this without having to start over? I burned up my "free day at the dyno" card here. Starting to be pretty concerned, I could sure use some help here.

Does this make sense? I feel like I'm not explaining the problem well.

Calc.vet only uses the NB's to correct MAF, right? So doing calc.vet with one NB missing would still generate correct VE values, just no MAF table correction, so do I just need to correct the MAF tables ?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 96SWB View Post
    Hmm...statesman,

The red line was the last pass. Is that still too lean? What should my AFR's be looking like? I know they need to be richer, but should they flat across the power band or should it vary, i.e. rich, but a richer toward peak tq, and a bit leaner towards peak hp?
    I think that it should be somewhere in the 12's. It's personal choice whether you run it flat or vary it. I choose to vary mine. How you set it and what you set it at is entirely your choice but 12.8 in the lower rpms varying to 12.2 in the higher rpms is usually considered safe. I certainly wouldn't want my AFR in the 13's at full noise.

Lifetime Member

Is there a way to fix this using old logs using data from the one NB that was there? i.e. is there a way to fix this without having to start over? I burned up my "free day at the dyno" card here. Starting to be pretty concerned, I could sure use some help here.

Does this make sense? I feel like I'm not explaining the problem well.
    I don't know what you did with your free dyno time, but it looks like you were not very well prepared for it. You really need to sort the fueling out first, then use the dyno to dial in the spark.

Joecar, not sure what you mean there exactly. I know he needs to get the wideband back in there, but is there a way to do calc.vet correctly with only one NBO2? Otherwise, pretty much waiting he can get a third pre-cat bung installed, right?
    Yes, you can use only one NBO2, you have to edit CALC.LTFTBEN's CLC to use only one NBO2...

So basically where I am at is this: The whole time I was tuning the truck, using calc.vet, there was one narrowband (on bank 1 I think) and there was the wideband where the other NB should be.

I did calc.vet and it spit out the values for the VE table, but only 0's for MAF correction. I don't fully understand how it works, but obviously calc.vet looks at both bank 1 and bank 2 NB's.

Ok, I see, the wideband was being used...?

Yes, edit calc_pids.txt and revisit the log files...
    Last edited by joecar; July 10th, 2015 at 03:29 AM.

Calc.vet only uses the NB's to correct MAF, right? So doing calc.vet with one NB missing would still generate correct VE values, just no MAF table correction, so do I just need to correct the MAF tables ?
    Calc.VET uses NBO2 and WB to correct the MAF table and to generate the new VE table...

in the calc_pids.txt file edit CLC-00-120 as follows:

Code:
    *CLC-00-120
    factor             0.5           1.5       .4  "{SAE.LONGFT1}/100+1"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast