Thread: usual noob help needed

Default usual noob help needed

all of the sudden i've starded getting random long crank times, I fixed what may have been a small air leak after the MAF when it was tuned and this showed up so I am guessing it's related to that, but I don't know how to correct the tunning temporarily until I can get it back up to the tuner.

ls7, with heads/cam, the usual...

I posted a log of the start:

Frame 116 starter hits, and hangs at 135rpm until 139 where it started to fire. It flutters for a second then hits again and jumps up to low idle.

Any help would be greately appreciated. I'm used to tuning diesels so Gas tuning is pretty new to me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

LTFT's tell me there still is an airleak some where between MAF and front NBO2S's.

Did this just start happening, or did it start after a specific even (i.e. mechanical work, PCM tune flashed, drove thru flood, something snagged underbody)...?

The vararam intake had a cheesy plastic barb fitting that pushed into the silicone hose that went into the throttle body, post MAF. this is where you plumb the fresh air line off the oil cannister(car is a dry sump) They changed their design to move that fresh air line into the aluminum housing that the maf sits in. I modified mine to match their new design, and changed out the silicone hose so there's no now.

I made that change and then this problem started no other mechanical issues, pcm work etc. could it be a bad o2 sensor? the sensor looked like it was reading fine, so i didn't really check it. Can you tell which side the leak looks like it's on?

Also the issue is random.

well the random issue is pretty much constant now and now i'm also noticing a severe lack of power, and dieseling at shutdown. I did a quick look over the engine last night and didn't see any obvious air leaks. I'll smoke the engine tonight and see if I can find a vaccuum leak anywhere.

Can you enlighten me on on what tipped you off to the air leak?

I noticed the LTFT's stepping upwards every so often, I'll take another look at your log.

I swept the whole engine with a propane torch, unlit of course, and didn't find any leaks. I logged everything again, and the ltft#2 I assume that's bank 2 or the pass side seems to be the one acting up the most. Do i have a bad o2 sensor??? I noticed that if I give the car some rpm the trims go back to near 0 and if I shut the car off before the ltft creeps back up, it will restart fine. but at idle the ltft bank 2 begins to climb back into the low teen range.

Default usual noob help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Kappa9012 View Post
    Do i have a bad o2 sensor???.
    I would swap them to the opposite bank and see if the problem follows that sensor. Cheap and easy way to find out
    Last edited by Dieselman; June 28th, 2015 at 10:19 PM.